running headers with Apache FOP

  • ultimatejerko@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2 5:33 AM
      Does anyone know how to implement running headers using Apache's FOP
      0.18? Markers would be nice, but they are not supported yet.

      In detail, I am trying to create page headers based on data in the
      content flow. I need the ability to grab the first row of content
      and put it in the header for just that page.

      Thanks,
      Lou
    • neuggs@concentric.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2 7:37 AM
        Lou,

        Have you tried using <fo:static-content>? For example, for a given
        page-sequence, you'd have something like:

        <fo:page-sequence
        master-name="foo">
        <fo:static-content
        flow-name="xsl-region-before">
        <fo:block>
        YOUR HEADER HERE
        </fo:block>
        </fo:static-content>

        </fo:page-sequence>

        Note that you'll need to define <fo:region-before> in the simple-page-
        master used by the page sequence (e.g., "foo"). Note also, that for a
        page-sequence, the static-content must come before anything else.

        Hope this helps, if you need more detail, just let me know.

        Regards,
        Frank.

      • ultimatejerko@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2 8:04 AM
          OK, but how do I get "YOUR HEADER HERE" to reference data in my
          flow. Say my data flow was user names and I wanted the header of
          each page to show the first user name listed on that page - any
          ideas? Am I not using page sequences correctly?

          -Lou

        • neuggs@concentric.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 2 10:20 AM
            Hi Lou,

            Wish I could help you there. I do not believe you can ask the
            formatter what it's doing at runtime. Theoretically, this is the task
            of XSL-T, but obviously, you require something different.

            One potential "hack" is to force page breaks at intervals. This is
            difficult to explain in email without a better understanding of your
            XML (you may already be aware of this too). Let me know if you think
            there's potential in this and if so, send a small snippet of XML and
            your intended output and I'll try and help.

            Perhaps someone else has a better solution.