Re: [XSL-FO] Align by decimal place

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 9, 2004
      At 2004-06-09 18:12 +0000, eentenman wrote:
      >I am trying to figure out a way to align text inside table cells by
      >the decimal point. I have a table that has columns of financial
      >data.

      I don't know which processors support text-align="<string>", but the ones
      that I use do not.

      Below is what the spec says you need ... the first blocks are not aligned,
      the blocks in the table cells are supposed to be aligned from what I can read.

      I hope this helps.

      ....................... Ken

      <flow xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format" flow-name="frame-body"
      font-family="Times" font-size="20pt">

      <block text-align=".">10.001%</block>
      <block text-align=".">(.001%)</block>
      <block text-align=".">5.02%</block>
      <block text-align=".">(.2%)</block>

      <block text-align=".">10.001%</block>
      <block text-align=".">(.001%)</block>
      <block text-align=".">5.02%</block>
      <block text-align=".">(.2%)</block>
      </flow>

      --
      Public courses: Spring 2004 world tour of hands-on XSL instruction
      Next: 3-day XSLT/XPath; 2-day XSL-FO - Birmingham, UK June 14,2004

    • J.Pietschmann
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 9, 2004
        eentenman wrote:
        > I am trying to figure out a way to align text inside table cells by
        > the decimal point.

        You can use
        text-align="'.'"
        on the tabel cells. Note the inner quotes which is necessary
        for the FO processor to recognize it as a string. See
        http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/slice7.html#text-align
        for more info.

        If you are using FOP, you'll find that this feature is not
        implemented. As a portable workaround, you can use two
        table cells for each number. Split the number at the decimal
        point and put the left part into the first cell, right aligned,
        and the right part into the second cell, left aligned:
        <fo:table-cell>
        <fo:block text-align="right">10</fo:block>
        </fo:table-cell>
        <fo:table-cell>
        <fo:block text-align="leftt">.001%</fo:block>
        </fo:table-cell>

        J.Pietschmann
      • Eric Entenman
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 9, 2004
          Thanks for the replies. I tried the text align = "'.'" but the renderer does not support it. Splitting it up into two cells seems like a great workaround.

          > I am trying to figure out a way to align text inside table cells by
          > the decimal point.

          You can use
          text-align="'.'"
          on the tabel cells. Note the inner quotes which is necessary
          for the FO processor to recognize it as a string. See
          http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/slice7.html#text-align
          for more info.

          If you are using FOP, you'll find that this feature is not
          implemented. As a portable workaround, you can use two
          table cells for each number. Split the number at the decimal
          point and put the left part into the first cell, right aligned,
          and the right part into the second cell, left aligned:
          <fo:table-cell>
          <fo:block text-align="right">10</fo:block>
          </fo:table-cell>
          <fo:table-cell>
          <fo:block text-align="leftt">.001%</fo:block>
          </fo:table-cell>

          J.Pietschmann

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 9, 2004
            Thanks for commenting on the format of the property.

            At 2004-06-09 20:52 +0200, J.Pietschmann wrote:
            >eentenman wrote:
            > > I am trying to figure out a way to align text inside table cells by
            > > the decimal point.
            >
            >You can use
            > text-align="'.'"
            >on the tabel cells. Note the inner quotes which is necessary
            >for the FO processor to recognize it as a string. See
            > http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/slice7.html#text-align
            >for more info.

            I looked where you cited and I see no examples of the use of a string argument.

            I checked the CSS citation and saw in the syntax of the CSS stylesheet the
            use of quotes, but I thought that was an artifact of the CSS stylesheet syntax.

            Looking at XSL-FO section 5.11 I note the description of <string> to be:

            "A sequence of characters"

            ... which does not imply the need for quotes ... though I will admit that
            if the alignment string were the word "left" you would need to say "'left'"
            in order to distinguish from "left".

            But ... can anyone cite chapter and verse of XSL-FO that <string> *must* be
            quoted inside the attribute value?

            Thanks!

            ........................... Ken

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 10, 2004
              G. Ken Holman wrote:
              > I looked where you cited and I see no examples of the use of a string argument.

              Really?
              7.15.9 "text-align"
              Value: start | center | end | justify | inside | outside | left | right
              | <string> | inherit
              The <string> in the angle brackets is really meant to be an XSLFO
              property expression string, I think, while all the other values are
              enumeration tokens.
              Well, they *could* have been a bit more clear.

              > I checked the CSS citation and saw in the syntax of the CSS stylesheet the
              > use of quotes, but I thought that was an artifact of the CSS stylesheet syntax.
              >
              > Looking at XSL-FO section 5.11 I note the description of <string> to be:
              >
              > "A sequence of characters"
              >
              > ... which does not imply the need for quotes ... though I will admit that
              > if the alignment string were the word "left" you would need to say "'left'"
              > in order to distinguish from "left".

              Section 5.9.8 Strings (lexical structure of property expressions):
              "Strings are represented either as literals or as an enumeration token."
              The string literal is cross referenced to the production:
              [20] Literal ::= '"' [^"]* '"' | "'" [^']* "'"
              (see slice5.html#NT-Literal). These quotes are supposed to be inside
              the XML attribute, like for XSLT strings.
              But then, there is the following in 5.9.8:
              "All properties contexts allow conversion from enumeration tokens to
              strings"
              which means the XML attribute
              foo="bar"
              would represent a valid FO property expression, yielding the
              enumeration token bar which may be implicitly converted to the string
              "bar".
              OTOH, an enumeration token is supposed to be a NCName, and a single
              dot is not a NCName (but a single underline character is). Hence
              the need for the quotes. Or so I believe.

              I remember the discussion regarding page number formats:
              <fo:page-sequence format="01" ...
              The expression will be parsed as number, but because the format is
              expected to be a string and in contrast to XPath XSLFO numbers
              can't be implicitely converted into a string, the property is in
              error (and even if implicit conversion was allowed, it would drop
              the leading zero). The errata allow the FO processor specifically
              for this use case to fall back to use the original string value
              of the XML atribute, after trimming leading and trailing whitespace,
              otherwise everybody would be forced to write
              <fo:page-sequence format="'01'" ...
              Duh!

              And I really like the specification of the hyphenation character:
              7.9.5 "hyphenation-character"
              Value: <character> | inherit
              Yeah, chapter 5 doesn't include a specification for a lexical character,
              nor do the errata. This begs the question whether
              <fo:block hyphenation-character="-">
              is really meant to be written this way, because the only plausible
              interpretation of <character> would be "a string consisting of
              a single character". And what about
              <fo:block hyphenation-character="....">
              Yes, four ASCII dots. Why shouldn't this be allowed?

              I'm reminded of the most renowned example of "specification by
              implementation", the C preprocessor - simple, intuitive syntax,
              straightforward implementation, but leading to an utterly convoluted
              formal description for the sake of getting rid of the "dark corners"
              (which makes the quite innocently looking expression 0xE-0xA an invalid
              PP token).

              Specs with holes suck. But then, I've dealt with texts which were much,
              much worse.
              I hope they fix the property expression grammar and the individual
              property specs in XSLFO 2.0

              Regards
              J.Pietschmann