Re: [XSL-FO] selecting data from a page to use on that page

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 7, 2004
      At 2004-06-07 09:34 -0400, Oosterbaan, Douglas S. (LNG-DAY) wrote:
      >Does anyone know of a way to select data from one region of a page
      >and use it in another region on that same page? For instance, if someone
      >were formatting a dictionary and wanted to put the first and last words on
      >the page in a header on that page, how would that be done?

      This is the common exemplar for <marker> and <retrieve-marker>.

      >The XML certainly doesn't know what the first/last words will be on a
      >formatted page, so they can't
      >be marked up in the original document.

      True, but you can seed the flow with markers that are retrieved as desired
      into headers and footers.

      >It's really not known until after the
      >region-body has been rendered.

      Indeed.

      >Depending on how a page is formatted the
      >last word might be 'anatomy' or the last word may be 'apple', or something
      >else.

      Your solution is in the use of these two formatting objects. They are well
      documented.

      I hope this helps.

      ........................ Ken

      --
      Public courses: Spring 2004 world tour of hands-on XSL instruction
      Next: 3-day XSLT/XPath; 2-day XSL-FO - Birmingham, UK June 14,2004

    • douglasoosterbaan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 7, 2004
        Thank you. I'll take a look at those objects.

        --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@c...> wrote:
        > At 2004-06-07 09:34 -0400, Oosterbaan, Douglas S. (LNG-DAY) wrote:
        > >Does anyone know of a way to select data from one region of a page
        > >and use it in another region on that same page? For instance, if
        someone
        > >were formatting a dictionary and wanted to put the first and last
        words on
        > >the page in a header on that page, how would that be done?
        >
        > This is the common exemplar for <marker> and <retrieve-marker>.
        >
        > >The XML certainly doesn't know what the first/last words will be
        on a
        > >formatted page, so they can't
        > >be marked up in the original document.
        >
        > True, but you can seed the flow with markers that are retrieved as
        desired
        > into headers and footers.
        >
        > >It's really not known until after the
        > >region-body has been rendered.
        >
        > Indeed.
        >
        > >Depending on how a page is formatted the
        > >last word might be 'anatomy' or the last word may be 'apple', or
        something
        > >else.
        >
        > Your solution is in the use of these two formatting objects. They
        are well
        > documented.
        >
        > I hope this helps.
        >
        > ........................ Ken
        >

        > --
        > Public courses: Spring 2004 world tour of hands-on XSL instruction
        > Next: 3-day XSLT/XPath; 2-day XSL-FO - Birmingham, UK June 14,2004
        >
        > World-wide on-site corporate, govt. & user group XML/XSL training.
        > G. Ken Holman mailto:gkholman@C...
        > Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/bc
      • Victor Vishnyakov
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 7, 2004