selecting data from a page to use on that page

  • Oosterbaan, Douglas S. (LNG-DAY)
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 7, 2004
      Does anyone know of a way to select data from one region of a page
      and use it in another region on that same page? For instance, if someone
      were formatting a dictionary and wanted to put the first and last words on
      the page in a header on that page, how would that be done? The XML
      certainly
      doesn't know what the first/last words will be on a formatted page, so they
      can't
      be marked up in the original document. It's really not known until after
      the
      region-body has been rendered. Depending on how a page is formatted the
      last word might be 'anatomy' or the last word may be 'apple', or something
      else.
      Is there any way using Apache FOP to select data from a page and use it in
      a header on that same page?

      Thanks.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 7, 2004
        At 2004-06-07 09:34 -0400, Oosterbaan, Douglas S. (LNG-DAY) wrote:
        >Does anyone know of a way to select data from one region of a page
        >and use it in another region on that same page? For instance, if someone
        >were formatting a dictionary and wanted to put the first and last words on
        >the page in a header on that page, how would that be done?

        This is the common exemplar for <marker> and <retrieve-marker>.

        >The XML certainly doesn't know what the first/last words will be on a
        >formatted page, so they can't
        >be marked up in the original document.

        True, but you can seed the flow with markers that are retrieved as desired
        into headers and footers.

        >It's really not known until after the
        >region-body has been rendered.

        Indeed.

        >Depending on how a page is formatted the
        >last word might be 'anatomy' or the last word may be 'apple', or something
        >else.

        Your solution is in the use of these two formatting objects. They are well
        documented.

        I hope this helps.

        ........................ Ken

        --
        Public courses: Spring 2004 world tour of hands-on XSL instruction
        Next: 3-day XSLT/XPath; 2-day XSL-FO - Birmingham, UK June 14,2004

      • douglasoosterbaan
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 7, 2004
          Thank you. I'll take a look at those objects.

          --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@c...> wrote:
          > At 2004-06-07 09:34 -0400, Oosterbaan, Douglas S. (LNG-DAY) wrote:
          > >Does anyone know of a way to select data from one region of a page
          > >and use it in another region on that same page? For instance, if
          someone
          > >were formatting a dictionary and wanted to put the first and last
          words on
          > >the page in a header on that page, how would that be done?
          >
          > This is the common exemplar for <marker> and <retrieve-marker>.
          >
          > >The XML certainly doesn't know what the first/last words will be
          on a
          > >formatted page, so they can't
          > >be marked up in the original document.
          >
          > True, but you can seed the flow with markers that are retrieved as
          desired
          > into headers and footers.
          >
          > >It's really not known until after the
          > >region-body has been rendered.
          >
          > Indeed.
          >
          > >Depending on how a page is formatted the
          > >last word might be 'anatomy' or the last word may be 'apple', or
          something
          > >else.
          >
          > Your solution is in the use of these two formatting objects. They
          are well
          > documented.
          >
          > I hope this helps.
          >
          > ........................ Ken
          >

          > --
          > Public courses: Spring 2004 world tour of hands-on XSL instruction
          > Next: 3-day XSLT/XPath; 2-day XSL-FO - Birmingham, UK June 14,2004
          >
          > World-wide on-site corporate, govt. & user group XML/XSL training.
          > G. Ken Holman mailto:gkholman@C...
          > Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/bc
        • Victor Vishnyakov
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 7, 2004