Spanning over columns and space-settings

  • aziegelmayer.trier@t-online.de
    Message 1 of 2 , May 29, 2004
      Hello all!

      I'm having the following part in a FO-stream (both being children of fo:flow):

      <fo:block span="all" font-size="12pt" font-weight="bold" space-after="2mm" space-before="10mm" keep-with-next="always"><fo:inline>2.1 Standard-Attribute</fo:inline></fo:block>

      <fo:block font-size="12pt" font-style="italic" space-after="3pt" space-before="10pt" keep-with-next="always"><fo:inline>2.1.1 CMS-Referenzattribute</fo:inline></fo:block>

      I was testing this stream with antennahouse.

      Now the question:
      Is it correct, that neither the space-after from the 1st block, nor the space-before from the 2nd fo:block is rendered, due to span="all", so is span="all" treated like a page-break according to the spaces?

      When I set the conditionality="retain", the spaces will be displayed, but then, they'll be also inserted at the beginning of a page, what I don't want at all.

      Is there perhaps a tricky solution to get aroung that behavior?
      So I want the spaces to behave like spaces of block's with span="none".

      Any help would be appreciated (I still hope, getting around some awfull node-testing, to get around that prob "by hand").

      Many thanks in advance,
      Andreas

      Message 2 of 2 , May 29, 2004
        At 2004-05-29 17:42 +0000, aziegelmayer.trier@... wrote:
        >I'm having the following part in a FO-stream (both being children of fo:flow):
        >
        ><fo:block span="all" font-size="12pt" font-weight="bold" space-after="2mm"
        >space-before="10mm" keep-with-next="always"><fo:inline>2.1
        >Standard-Attribute</fo:inline></fo:block>
        >
        ><fo:block font-size="12pt" font-style="italic" space-after="3pt"
        >space-before="10pt" keep-with-next="always"><fo:inline>2.1.1
        >CMS-Referenzattribute</fo:inline></fo:block>
        >
        >I was testing this stream with antennahouse.
        >
        >Now the question:
        >Is it correct, that neither the space-after from the 1st block, nor the
        >space-before from the 2nd fo:block is rendered, due to span="all",

        Yes.

        >so is span="all" treated like a page-break according to the spaces?

        Not quite but close: the first space-before and the last space-after are
        discarded at, respectively, the start of and end of a reference
        area. Changing the spanning of columns introduces a new
        span-reference-area, thus "eating" your specifications. Coincidentally, a
        new page introduces a page-reference-area, which is a reference area, so
        the same behaviour is happening. But the reason is that both a span and a
        page introduce new reference areas and share common behaviours, it isn't
        that a span is "treated like a page-break".

        >When I set the conditionality="retain", the spaces will be displayed,

        Right ...

        >but then, they'll be also inserted at the beginning of a page, what I
        >don't want at all.

        I understand.

        >Is there perhaps a tricky solution to get aroung that behavior?

        Yes ... it utilizes empty blocks.

        >So I want the spaces to behave like spaces of block's with span="none".

        The way I would do this is to begin and end your spanned content with an
        empty spanned block at both ends:

        <block span="all"/>

        This way your contents' space-before and your space-after are not at the
        start and end of the spanned span-reference-area. Should your prior
        un-spanned content happen to hit the end of the page, the empty spanned
        block will fit on that page and your first content spanned block will be at
        the top of the next page and its space-before will be at the beginning of
        the page reference area, thus will be discarded as you wish.

        I hope this helps.

        ........................ Ken

        p.s. this is a fragment I used as the basis of my suggestion:

        <region-body region-name="frame-body" column-count="3"
        background-color="#e0e0e0"/>
        </simple-page-master>
        </layout-master-set>

        <page-sequence master-reference="frame"
        xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format">

        <flow flow-name="frame-body">

        <block space-before="1em">1. This is a test of a long sentence used to
        make up a lengthy block for spacing out information
        as much as possible.</block>
        <block space-before="1em">2. This is a test of a long sentence used to
        make up a lengthy block for spacing out information
        as much as possible.</block>
        <block space-before="1em">3. This is a test of a long sentence used to
        make up a lengthy block for spacing out information
        as much as possible.</block>
        <block space-before="1em">4. This is a test of a long sentence used to
        make up a lengthy block for spacing out information
        as much as possible.</block> <block span="all"/>
        <block span="all" space-before="1em" space-after="1em">test of span</block>
        <block span="all" space-before="1em" space-after="1em">test of span</block>
        <block span="all" space-before="1em" space-after="1em">test of span</block>
        <block span="all" space-before="1em" space-after="1em">test of span</block>
        <block span="all"/>
        <block space-before="1em">5. This is a test of a long sentence used to
        make up a lengthy block for spacing out information
        as much as possible.</block>
        <block space-before="1em">6. This is a test of a long sentence used to
        make up a lengthy block for spacing out information
        as much as possible.</block>
        <block space-before="1em">7. This is a test of a long sentence used to
        make up a lengthy block for spacing out information
        as much as possible.</block>
        <block space-before="1em">8. This is a test of a long sentence used to
        make up a lengthy block for spacing out information
        as much as possible.</block>
        <block span="all"/>
        <block span="all" space-before="1em" space-after="1em">test of span</block>
        <block span="all" space-before="1em" space-after="1em">test of span</block>
        <block span="all" space-before="1em" space-after="1em">test of span</block>
        <block span="all" space-before="1em" space-after="1em">test of span</block>
        <block span="all"/>
        <block space-before="1em">9. This is a test of a long sentence used to
        make up a lengthy block for spacing out information
        as much as possible.</block>
        <block space-before="1em">10. This is a test of a long sentence used to
        make up a lengthy block for spacing out information
        as much as possible.</block>
        <block space-before="1em">11. This is a test of a long sentence used to
        make up a lengthy block for spacing out information
        as much as possible.</block>
        <block space-before="1em">12. This is a test of a long sentence used to
        make up a lengthy block for spacing out information
        as much as possible.</block>
        <block space-before="1em">13. This is a test of a long sentence used to
        make up a lengthy block for spacing out information
        as much as possible.</block>
        <block space-before="1em">14. This is a test of a long sentence used to
        make up a lengthy block for spacing out information
        as much as possible.</block>
        <block space-before="1em">15. This is a test of a long sentence used to
        make up a lengthy block for spacing out information
        as much as possible.</block>

        </flow></page-sequence></root>

        --
        Public courses: Spring 2004 world tour of hands-on XSL instruction
        Next: 3-day XSLT/XPath; 2-day XSL-FO - Birmingham, UK June 14,2004