Saxon Extension for Guessing Composed Text String Length

  • Eliot Kimber
    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2004
      I have implemented a simple Saxon extension function,
      renderedTextLength(), that lets you calculate the composed length of
      short text strings in XSLT. This is intended primarily to enable crude
      text fitting in FO-generating XSLTs. The accuracy is inherently limited
      because there's no way for my code to account for the effects of
      kerning, text sequeezing, justification, and so on, but it's good enough
      to allow, for example, setting the width of list labels to the length of
      the longest term in a definition list.

      The files are provided under the GNU LGPL license.

      The materials are available at:
      http://www.innodata-isogen.com/resources/tools_downloads/saxon_extensions

      (This may require you to register on the Web site, for which I
      appologize in advance.)

      Cheers,

      Eliot
      --