Problems after Deployment to UNIX

  • gavaroo_99
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30 9:18 AM
      Hi

      I am using fop 0.2.05,JDK 1.4, Tomcat 4 and Apache. I'm embedding the
      use of FOP in a servlet. I develop on a NT but when I deploy to UNIX.
      I get the following error(only sending relevant stack trace):

      java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server
      using ':0.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.
      at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.initDisplay(Native Method)
      at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.<clinit>
      (X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:125)
      at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment
      (GraphicsEnvironment.java:62)
      at java.awt.image.BufferedImage.createGraphics
      (BufferedImage.java:1041)
      at org.apache.fop.svg.PDFGraphics2D.<init>
      (PDFGraphics2D.java:1401)
      at org.apache.fop.render.pdf.PDFRenderer.renderSVGDocument
      (PDFRenderer.java:638)
      at org.apache.fop.render.pdf.PDFRenderer.renderSVGArea
      (PDFRenderer.java:549)
      at org.apache.fop.svg.SVGArea.render(SVGArea.java:98)

      Within the initialization of the servlet I've tried 2 approaches:
      1) Setting System.setProperty("java.awt.headless", "true");

      This doesn't change anything.

      2) System.setProperty("awt.toolkit", "com.eteks.awt.PJAToolkit");

      This doesn't change anything either.

      If you had this problem and found
      a sure fix. Please let me know.

      Thanks
    • Bob Stayton
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30 9:48 AM
        I recall seeing this error on Unix, but I think it was in version 1.3 of
        Java. Upgrading Java fixed the problem.

        Bob Stayton
        Sagehill Enterprises
        DocBook Consulting
        bobs@...

        > I am using fop 0.2.05,JDK 1.4, Tomcat 4 and Apache. I'm embedding the
        > use of FOP in a servlet. I develop on a NT but when I deploy to UNIX.
        > I get the following error(only sending relevant stack trace):
        >
        > java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server
        > using ':0.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.
        > at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.initDisplay(Native Method)
        > at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.<clinit>
        > (X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:125)
        > at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment
        > (GraphicsEnvironment.java:62)
        > at java.awt.image.BufferedImage.createGraphics
        > (BufferedImage.java:1041)
        > at org.apache.fop.svg.PDFGraphics2D.<init>
        > (PDFGraphics2D.java:1401)
        > at org.apache.fop.render.pdf.PDFRenderer.renderSVGDocument
        > (PDFRenderer.java:638)
        > at org.apache.fop.render.pdf.PDFRenderer.renderSVGArea
        > (PDFRenderer.java:549)
        > at org.apache.fop.svg.SVGArea.render(SVGArea.java:98)
        >

        > Within the initialization of the servlet I've tried 2 approaches:
        > 1) Setting System.setProperty("java.awt.headless", "true");
        >
        > This doesn't change anything.
        >
        > 2) System.setProperty("awt.toolkit", "com.eteks.awt.PJAToolkit");
        >
        > This doesn't change anything either.
        >
        > If you had this problem and found
        > a sure fix. Please let me know.
        >
        > Thanks
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Chris Bowditch
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4, 2004

          Message 4 of 4 , May 4, 2004
            gavaroo_99 wrote:

            > Hi
            >
            > I am using fop 0.2.05,JDK 1.4, Tomcat 4 and Apache. I'm embedding the
            > use of FOP in a servlet. I develop on a NT but when I deploy to UNIX.
            > I get the following error(only sending relevant stack trace):
            >
            > java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server
            > using ':0.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.
            > at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.initDisplay(Native Method)
            > at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.<clinit>
            > (X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:125)

            This error is caused by fact Unix is running on a terminal display with no X
            windows service. FOP requires the use of Java's Graphical classes, which in
            turn require an X windows service.

            <snip/>

            > Within the initialization of the servlet I've tried 2 approaches:
            > 1) Setting System.setProperty("java.awt.headless", "true");

            I believe this property only works on Java 1.4 and above.

            <snip/>