fo:page-number-citation and TOC

  • smckenzie23
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 8, 2004
      I am having a tough time getting the page number references to work in
      a table of contents. Within the contents I am formatting it like this:

      <fo:block start-indent="10pt"
      text-align-last="justify">Modeling Applications
      <fo:leader leader-pattern="dots"
      leader-alignment="reference-area">
      <fo:page-number-citation ref-id="IntroModel"/>
      </fo:leader>
      </fo:block>

      The section that I would like the page reference to point to is
      getting formatted like this:

      <fo:block font-family="Serif"
      font-size="15pt"
      space-after.optimum="10pt" font-weight="bold"
      id="IntroModel">Modeling Applications
      </fo:block>

      So both the ref-id and the id seem to match, but I do not get the page
      number in the output. The leader goes all the way to the right.

      Can anyone see what I am doing wrong, or suggest a book/web site that
      covers this in detail? I have the _Developer's Handbook_ by Lovell &
      it seems to gloss over this.
    • Dave Pawson
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 9, 2004
        At 21:40 08/04/2004, smckenzie23 wrote:

        >I am having a tough time getting the page number references to work in
        >a table of contents. Within the contents I am formatting it like this:
        >
        ><fo:block start-indent="10pt"
        > text-align-last="justify">Modeling Applications
        > <fo:leader leader-pattern="dots"
        > leader-alignment="reference-area">
        > <fo:page-number-citation ref-id="IntroModel"/>
        > </fo:leader>
        ></fo:block>

        Try the page-number-citation in a fo:inline or fo:basic-link.

        HTH DaveP
      • Eliot Kimber
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 9, 2004
          At 21:40 08/04/2004, smckenzie23 wrote:

          > >I am having a tough time getting the page number references to work in
          > >a table of contents. Within the contents I am formatting it like this:
          > >
          > ><fo:block start-indent="10pt"
          > > text-align-last="justify">Modeling Applications
          > > <fo:leader leader-pattern="dots"
          > > leader-alignment="reference-area">
          > > <fo:page-number-citation ref-id="IntroModel"/>
          > > </fo:leader>
          > ></fo:block>

          You've put the page number citation inside the leader. You want this:

          <fo:leader leader-pattern="dots"
          leader-alignment="reference-area"/>
          <fo:page-number-citation ref-id="IntroModel"/>

          fo:leader only uses its content if you specify leader-patter="use-content".

          Cheers,

          E.
          --
          W. Eliot Kimber
          Professional Services

          eliot@...
          www.innodata-isogen.com
        • smckenzie23
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 9, 2004
            --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, Dave Pawson <dpawson@n...> wrote:
            > At 21:40 08/04/2004, smckenzie23 wrote:
            >
            > >I am having a tough time getting the page number references to work in
            > >a table of contents. Within the contents I am formatting it like this:
            > >
            > ><fo:block start-indent="10pt"
            > > text-align-last="justify">Modeling Applications
            > > <fo:leader leader-pattern="dots"
            > > leader-alignment="reference-area">
            > > <fo:page-number-citation ref-id="IntroModel"/>
            > > </fo:leader>
            > ></fo:block>
            >
            > Try the page-number-citation in a fo:inline or fo:basic-link.

            I've tried both with no luck. I'll keep messing with it...
          • smckenzie23
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 9, 2004
              --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "smckenzie23" <smckenzie@b...> wrote:

              > I've tried both with no luck. I'll keep messing with it...

              Ah got it. The end tag for the leader was nested outside of the page
              ref so it was getting overwritten.
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 9, 2004
                At 2004-04-09 15:37 +0000, smckenzie23 wrote:
                >--- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, Dave Pawson <dpawson@n...> wrote:
                > > At 21:40 08/04/2004, smckenzie23 wrote:
                > >
                > > >I am having a tough time getting the page number references to work in
                > > >a table of contents. Within the contents I am formatting it like this:
                > > >
                > > ><fo:block start-indent="10pt"
                > > > text-align-last="justify">Modeling Applications
                > > > <fo:leader leader-pattern="dots"
                > > > leader-alignment="reference-area">
                > > > <fo:page-number-citation ref-id="IntroModel"/>
                > > > </fo:leader>
                > > ></fo:block>
                > >
                > > Try the page-number-citation in a fo:inline or fo:basic-link.
                >
                >I've tried both with no luck. I'll keep messing with it...

                Eliot addressed this in his post last night to you: your page number
                citation needs to be outside of <leader> ... the leader is a standalone
                construct ... any content *inside* the leader has to do with the leader
                itself. Your need appears to be to render the cited page number at the end
                of the line, so therefore it belongs outside of the leader and after it so
                that it shows up at the end of the line.

                --
                Public courses: Spring 2004 world tour of hands-on XSL instruction
                Each week: Monday-Wednesday: XSLT/XPath; Thursday-Friday: XSL-FO