Some questions about multi-column layouts

  • aziegelmayer.trier@t-online.de
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2004
      Hi all!

      I've some questions about a multi-column layout and maybe I'll find some answers here (by the way, I have quite less experience with the current implementations of FO into renderes, but I'm quite familiar with XML, XSLT, XPath...).
      By now, I need to check the feasability of FO for a project, but in these points, I wasn't yet able to find s.th. about in the FO-spec and I do not know, which implementation/formatter might have an own solution for that:

      - Column-gutter:
      *Is there a possibility to display a column gutter (rule between the columns)?
      *If yes, could it be somehow masked from a <fo:block span="all">?
      *The columns should be at the end balanced (with <fo:block span="all"/>). Is there a way, that the column gutter (if possible) will end at that point?

      - Content continued messages:
      * I'll have an index, where at the very beginning and after each column-break, there should be the word "page" displayed at column top (so that the reader knows, the number displayed in the index is a page-numer :-). Is s.th. like that possible or do I need to put everything into a table, putting "page" into the repeatable table-header?

      I would appreciate any input on these questions. Thanks in advance for any hints,

      Andreas

    • christian brugeron
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2004
        xsl formatter has an extension to do that.

        On the other hnd, you can place a svg graphic in the gutter block

        HTH

        CB

        Le 02 Apr 2004, à 12:22, aziegelmayer.trier@... a écrit :

        > Hi all!
        >
        > I've some questions about a multi-column layout and maybe I'll find
        > some answers here (by the way, I have quite less experience with the
        > current implementations of FO into renderes, but I'm quite familiar
        > with XML, XSLT, XPath...).
        > By now, I need to check the feasability of FO for a project, but in
        > these points, I wasn't yet able to find s.th. about in the FO-spec and
        > I do not know, which implementation/formatter might have an own
        > solution for that:
        >
        > - Column-gutter:
        > *Is there a possibility to display a column gutter (rule between the
        > columns)?
        > *If yes, could it be somehow masked from a <fo:block span="all">?
        > *The columns should be at the end balanced (with <fo:block
        > span="all"/>). Is there a way, that the column gutter (if possible)
        > will end at that point?

      • tokukobayashi2002
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2004
          Hello,

          --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, aziegelmayer.trier@t... wrote:
          > - Column-gutter:
          > *Is there a possibility to display a column gutter (rule between
          the columns)?
          > *If yes, could it be somehow masked from a <fo:block span="all">?
          > *The columns should be at the end balanced (with <fo:block
          span="all"/>). Is there a way, that the column gutter (if possible)
          will end at that point?

          Antenna House XSL Formatter has the following extensions
          axf:column-rule-align
          axf:column-rule-color
          axf:column-rule-length
          axf:column-rule-style
          axf:column-rule-width

          It works as your request.
          You may try it from here:
          http://www.antennahouse.com/

          > - Content continued messages:
          > * I'll have an index, where at the very beginning and after each
          column-break, there should be the word "page" displayed at column top
          (so that the reader knows, the number displayed in the index is a
          page-numer :-). Is s.th. like that possible or do I need to put
          everything into a table, putting "page" into the repeatable table-
          header?

          I can not fully understand your request, would you please
          describe a detailed spec ?

          Best regards,

          Tokushige Kobayashi
          Antenna House, Inc.