Re: [XSL-FO] EXSLFO Activity

  • bry@itnisk.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 15, 2004
      > For the specific case of PDF-specific
      processes we know two things:

      > 1. It is absolutely inappropriate for XSL-
      FO, as a product-neutral
      > standard, to standardize anything that is
      specific to PDF as an output
      > format.
      >
      > 2. In practice, essentially everyone wants
      PDF as an output format and
      > therefore essentially all FO users have
      the same requirements for PDF
      > production.

      I would like to have the possibility of
      outputting non-displayed content before and
      after specific display objects in a format,
      in the example of pdf I might like to have
      the possibility of outputting xmp data at
      various locations, also of course the
      possibility of adding hidden content at the
      end of file position in the pdf. So for xsl-
      fo this would indicate the need to identify
      relevant objects in an FO instance that one
      could add before or after, basically I think
      this is the page. Content should be
      escapable from display before and after page
      instances, with the possibility of having a
      true end of file escape sequence.

      any FO instance that made use of these
      facilities might find it problematic to
      transfer between different output formats,
      so I suppose that any escaped content should
      be capable of generating errors with errors
      causing that particular escaping to be
      ignored.
    • tokukobayashi2002
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 16, 2004
        --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, Eliot Kimber <ekimber@i...> wrote:
        > So far I haven't seen FO implementors jumping up to suggest
        standards
        > for many of these requirements (or even providing proprietary ways
        > satisfy them) so I could be convinced that in fact these are not
        useful
        > things to standardize or to expect implementors to standardize.
        >
        > So what do other vendors think? Is David's analysis correct?

        This is fairly late response, but I feel it is important to
        suggest my thoughts.

        There are some kinds of PDF relates standards so far, such as
        PDF/X, PDF/is, PDF/a (Archive). Another standards will be
        acceptable.

        For example, we are working for a special customer to design
        spec for the devision and link-generation of PDF. If there are
        any standards, the design job will not be necessary and
        the implimentation will be useful for many customers but not
        for only customer.

        Mr. Tolphin seems to confuse about spec and implementation.
        Although spec and implemantation are deeply related, but
        they are still independent.

        Best regards,

        Tokushige Kobayashi
        Antenna House, Inc.