Re: [XSL-FO] hyphenation-keep

  • Eliot Kimber
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 20, 2004
      Gina Cicotello wrote:

      > Antenna House does not support this property:
      >
      > hyphenation-keep
      > http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/slice7.html#hyphenation-keep
      >
      > Does anyone know a work-around? I've got hyphenation occurring at the
      > bottom of columns and pages. Seems like this property was designed to
      > prevent it, but as far as implementation I might be outta luck!
      >
      > General comments welcomed, also; if you don't use hyphenation at all because
      > there just isn't enough control, it would be illuminating to hear that. I
      > didn't see anything in the group archives.

      None of my customers (all producing technical manuals of various sorts)
      use hyphenation, largely because it can be confusing in some languages
      and because of limitations in the automation of hyphenation by various
      publishing tools.

      I'm not an FO implementor but I can imagine that doing really good
      hyphenation would be pretty hard because of the amount of trial and
      error the renderer would have to do, especially to implement hyphenation
      keep.

      Of course, this could be an area where an FO vendor could distinguish
      themselves from the competition....

      Cheers,

      Eliot
      --