Re: XSL-FO and Quark Xpress

  • icastleton105
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 9, 2004
      --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, Eliot Kimber <ekimber@i...> wrote:
      > Unless the layouts for your articles are simpler than most, it is
      likely
      > that XSL-FO 1.0 cannot meet your requirements. If you are trying
      to use
      > FO to represent the article in its pre-paginated form in such a way
      that
      > an FO renderer would be able to produce a reasonable approximation
      of
      > the printed article, I think there might be some limitations.

      Thanks for your feedback. The type of articles we are intending to
      reuse this way do in general have a fairly simple layout, and will
      not flow across multiple pages. The aim of the project is to speed
      up (and possibly even automate) the page composition process,
      particularly for freesheets, by allowing the reuse of a library of
      pre-shaped articles, even if they do require manual editing to fit.

      > If you're looking for a reasonably generic XML representation of
      > "designed" documents, you might take a look at the UltraXML product
      from
      > WebX Systems (http://webxsystems.com/). It attempts to compete with
      > Quark or InDesign but using a pure XML approach. It's not
      > standards-based, because no standard currently exists for
      expressing
      > these sorts of complex designs, but it's overall approach seems to
      be
      > consistent with the general XSL-FO approach. It provides both
      > interactive tweaking of presentation as well as batch-based
      composition
      > using normal XML-to-XML transformation approaches. I haven't used
      it
      > myself but from what I've seen it looks promising.

      UltraXML looks promising, but we have already built a content
      management system which can manage XML.

      Regards,

      Ian
    • Eliot Kimber
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 9, 2004
        icastleton105 wrote:

        > > using normal XML-to-XML transformation approaches. I haven't used
        > it
        > > myself but from what I've seen it looks promising.
        > >
        > UltraXML looks promising, but we have already built a content
        > management system which can manage XML.

        I was only refering to the formatting/editing component of UltraXML. I
        have no opinion on their content management features having neither used
        nor researched them.

        Cheers,

        E.
        --
        W. Eliot Kimber
        Professional Services

        eliot@...
        www.innodata-isogen.com
      • Klaas_Bals@inventivedesigners.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 11, 2004
          "icastleton105" <ian.castleton@...> wrote on 02/09/2004 01:25:41 PM:

          > Thanks for your feedback. The type of articles we are intending to
          > reuse this way do in general have a fairly simple layout, and will
          > not flow across multiple pages. The aim of the project is to speed
          > up (and possibly even automate) the page composition process,
          > particularly for freesheets, by allowing the reuse of a library of
          > pre-shaped articles, even if they do require manual editing to fit.

          You might want to take a look at our Scriptura product, that allows you to
          visually design documents. It can export XSLT stylesheets that generate
          XSL-FO, or you can use it to go to the final output format directly. It
          does support flowing of content to multiple pages etc, but as this is more
          difficult that not flowing to multiple pages, it can certainly satify your
          needs of generating just one page.

          Best regards,
          -----
          Klaas Bals - Technical Manager

          Scriptura - a WYSIWYG XSL-FO editor: www.scriptura-xsl.com

          Inventive Designers
          Direct Phone: +32 - 3 - 8210183
          Office Phone: +32 - 3 - 8210170
          Office Fax: +32 - 3 - 8210171
          Email: Klaas_Bals at inventivedesigners dot com