Re: [XSL-FO] Changing value of an xsl:variable

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2004
      At 2004-02-04 11:16 +0000, Chris Bowditch wrote:
      >the xsl:variable tag is poorly named, because it is really a constant.

      Careful Chris ... :{)}

      When I dared to say this years ago (I've just tried to find it in the
      archives and I cannot, I would have loved to find the quote again) I was
      jumped on very publicly on the XSL list that when you consider the role of
      a variable in mathematics as being a placeholder for a value, then it is
      most appropriately named and who could ever think that there may be a
      better name for it?

      I laughed at the comment because of how what I said off-hand could touch
      such a sensitive nerve.

      Just warning you in case you should get jumped on yourself ....

      ................... Ken

      --
      Public courses: sign up for one or both soon to reserve your seat!
      Each week: Monday-Wednesday: XSLT/XPath; Thursday-Friday: XSL-FO

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5, 2004
        G. Ken Holman wrote:
        > At 2004-02-04 11:16 +0000, Chris Bowditch wrote:
        > >the xsl:variable tag is poorly named, because it is really a constant.
        >
        > Careful Chris ... :{)}
        >
        > When I dared to say this years ago (I've just tried to find it in the
        > archives and I cannot, I would have loved to find the quote again) I was
        > jumped on very publicly on the XSL list that when you consider the role of
        > a variable in mathematics as being a placeholder for a value, then it is
        > most appropriately named and who could ever think that there may be a
        > better name for it?
        >
        > I laughed at the comment because of how what I said off-hand could touch
        > such a sensitive nerve.
        >
        > Just warning you in case you should get jumped on yourself ....

        Thanks Ken. I suppose in a strict mathematics sense the name is valid.
        But we are working in a computing environment, and xsl:variable is not a
        variable in the programming sense. I think this name trips people up
        because a lot of people in computing have a programming background.