Re: [XSL-FO] endless pdf generation problem

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2004
      Raúl Herranz Serrano wrote:

      > With the two files you can see at the bottom of this mail, when I try to
      > generate the pdf file, my program fails, and the only thing I get is an
      > endless secuence of '[INFO] area contents overflow area inline'
      > messages... is there any solution to avoid this situation??

      It would have been helpful if you could have provided the FO, by
      transforming the XML and XSL files, which I did locally and found that
      you have defined a table with 343 table columns. You you not be able to
      put any data into a table cell which is less than 1mm width. Hence why
      you get a serious of area content overflow messages.

      Why do you think you need 343 table columns on a single page? Nobody
      will be able to read such a document?

      Chris
    • Raúl Herranz Serrano
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4, 2004
        The problem is that the XML file is generated 'on the fly' by the users of the application. They can choose between different objects of the database to generate a report, and then the application generates it by creating an xml file and 'foping' it with the xsl I have sent in my last mail... so my question is: could I count the number of columns in my xsl so if there are more columns than a certain number I will be able to print a report with an error message "TOO MUCH COLUMNS IN THE REPORT"?

        Thanks again!

        Raul
        > With the two files you can see at the bottom of this mail, when I try to
        > generate the pdf file, my program fails, and the only thing I get is an
        > endless secuence of '[INFO] area contents overflow area inline'
        > messages... is there any solution to avoid this situation??

        It would have been helpful if you could have provided the FO, by
        transforming the XML and XSL files, which I did locally and found that
        you have defined a table with 343 table columns. You you not be able to
        put any data into a table cell which is less than 1mm width. Hence why
        you get a serious of area content overflow messages.

        Why do you think you need 343 table columns on a single page? Nobody
        will be able to read such a document?

        Chris

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Victor Vishnyakov
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4, 2004
          > so my question is: could I count the number of columns in my xsl so
          > if there are more columns than a certain number I will be
          > able to print a report with an error message "TOO MUCH
          > COLUMNS IN THE REPORT"?

          Solution 1: page-width = "indefinite". Not sure if FOP supports this
          attribute.
          Solution 2: get starting 5 (or 10) columns from XML in your XSL and
          ignore other columns
          Solution 3: use the fixed column width. Overflow columns will be
          clipped.
          Solution 4: Yes, you can count the quantity of the columns. See
          http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect2/N2018.html

          Regards,
          Victor Vishnyakov

        • Raúl Herranz Serrano
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 4, 2004
            Thank you very much!! the solution 4 is, at the present moment, the one I choose :) (I hope the client will be agree with that solution ;) )

            Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!

            Raul Herranz