PageSequence.java endless loop problem

  • Mark Ivs
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2004
      Hello,
      I encountered an endless loop problem in the
      "format" method in PageSequence.java. There is a
      do-while statement in that method which always sets
      the status to 3 in my case, so the while loop never
      terminates. I looked at the FOP bug report, and I
      couldn't find any bug reported about this issue. Has
      anyone experienced this problem ?

      Whats the best way to fix this problem ?
      This is what I tried.....
      I can set a counter inside the while loop and if it
      exceeded the threshold value(I set it 50), then set
      the status to 1 ? When I did this, the endless loop
      didn't happen. But I noticed the data was duplicated
      numerous times in the generated PDF.

      I am not a java expert and since I don't understand
      FOP code in detail, I would really appreciate your
      suggestions.

      I am using FOP0.20.5. This problem happens only with
      certain data in the xml.

      Thanks for your time.

      http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2004
        Mark Ivs wrote:
        > Hello,
        > I encountered an endless loop problem in the
        > "format" method in PageSequence.java. There is a
        > do-while statement in that method which always sets
        > the status to 3 in my case, so the while loop never
        > terminates. I looked at the FOP bug report, and I
        > couldn't find any bug reported about this issue. Has
        > anyone experienced this problem ?

        Your question is very specific to FOP, and would be better suited to the
        fop-user list.

        > Whats the best way to fix this problem ?
        > This is what I tried.....
        > I can set a counter inside the while loop and if it
        > exceeded the threshold value(I set it 50), then set
        > the status to 1 ? When I did this, the endless loop
        > didn't happen. But I noticed the data was duplicated
        > numerous times in the generated PDF.

        To find a solution, you need to look at exactly what causes this
        infinite loop to be entered in the first place.

        > I am not a java expert and since I don't understand
        > FOP code in detail, I would really appreciate your
        > suggestions.
        >
        > I am using FOP0.20.5. This problem happens only with
        > certain data in the xml.

        You need to try and identify the certain data. Infinite loops can happen
        in FOP when you have some data that is too big for a fixed Area. In
        which case, just having a counter inside the loop you mention above is
        not going to "fix" this issue. It may prevent the infinite loop, but the
        output will not be as expected. Instead you are going to need to find
        what the exact scenario is that causes the loop, and then put an if
        statement in the layout to detect the particular scenario you are
        hitting, and add some code to shrink/truncate the data.