Re: [XSL-FO] Producing Company Docs using XML/FO

  • Kevin Lindsey
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 16, 2001
      Hi Kevan,

      >Our current method of producing documents (external business docs) involves
      >programmatically opening word templates and populating bookmarks in a VB
      >app. I am currently working on an implementation using xml + xslt. I want
      >try and produce a generic xml doc that will describe all our document
      >possibilities (ie paras, lists, tables etc) and then apply a stylesheet to
      >produce a final document in html(possibly with word metatags so it prints
      >and styles in word) or fo/pdf.

      Hmm. Word metatags? Is that RTF or something else. I'm just curious
      because I had to implement an RTF writer in Perl. Metatags sound a lot
      easier.

      >Also incidentally does anyone know of a fo-pdf convertor app that is easy
      >use in a microsoft environment( ie I am not a great fan of Java commandline
      >apps). Or alternatively an idiot proof step by step guide on which version
      >of fop etc to download and how to get it working with the Microsoft Java
      exe
      >or with the jdk or java runtime.

      This is what I did:

      1) Download http://xml.apache.org/dist/fop/Fop-0.19.0-CVS-src.tar.gz
      2) Decompress with WinZip
      3) Download JDK from http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/download-windows.html
      4) Decompress and install
      5) Open a command prompt, cd to the Fop directory, run build.bat

      From there I was able to run runtests.bat in the docs/examples directory in
      the Fop installation. I had to modify it slightly. I've attached my
      version. Also, I created my own Fop.bat which I put into a directory that
      is in my path. That way I can run Fop from any directory.

      I think that the command line is fairly simple to use.

      Hope this helps,
      Kevin