Producing Company Docs using XML/FO

  • Kevan Ritchie
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 16, 2001
      Hi there

      I have recently become interested in fo for the following reasons.

      Our current method of producing documents (external business docs) involves
      programmatically opening word templates and populating bookmarks in a VB
      app. I am currently working on an implementation using xml + xslt. I want to
      try and produce a generic xml doc that will describe all our document
      possibilities (ie paras, lists, tables etc) and then apply a stylesheet to
      produce a final document in html(possibly with word metatags so it prints
      and styles in word) or fo/pdf.
      The generic structure would need to take into acount all possibities as we
      have 100's of different documents. Does anyone have any real world
      experience of this type of thing or any advice or knowledge of 3rd party
      apps.

      Also incidentally does anyone know of a fo-pdf convertor app that is easy to
      use in a microsoft environment( ie I am not a great fan of Java commandline
      apps). Or alternatively an idiot proof step by step guide on which version
      of fop etc to download and how to get it working with the Microsoft Java exe
      or with the jdk or java runtime.

      Thanks
      Kevan

    • Kevin Lindsey
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 16, 2001
        Hi Kevan,

        >Our current method of producing documents (external business docs) involves
        >programmatically opening word templates and populating bookmarks in a VB
        >app. I am currently working on an implementation using xml + xslt. I want
        >try and produce a generic xml doc that will describe all our document
        >possibilities (ie paras, lists, tables etc) and then apply a stylesheet to
        >produce a final document in html(possibly with word metatags so it prints
        >and styles in word) or fo/pdf.

        Hmm. Word metatags? Is that RTF or something else. I'm just curious
        because I had to implement an RTF writer in Perl. Metatags sound a lot
        easier.

        >Also incidentally does anyone know of a fo-pdf convertor app that is easy
        >use in a microsoft environment( ie I am not a great fan of Java commandline
        >apps). Or alternatively an idiot proof step by step guide on which version
        >of fop etc to download and how to get it working with the Microsoft Java
        exe
        >or with the jdk or java runtime.

        This is what I did:

        1) Download http://xml.apache.org/dist/fop/Fop-0.19.0-CVS-src.tar.gz
        2) Decompress with WinZip
        3) Download JDK from http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/download-windows.html
        4) Decompress and install
        5) Open a command prompt, cd to the Fop directory, run build.bat

        From there I was able to run runtests.bat in the docs/examples directory in
        the Fop installation. I had to modify it slightly. I've attached my
        version. Also, I created my own Fop.bat which I put into a directory that
        is in my path. That way I can run Fop from any directory.

        I think that the command line is fairly simple to use.

        Hope this helps,
        Kevin