Tables in ASCII text

  • Christian Brugeron
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 8, 2004
      Hello,

      It's not a strict XSL-FO question.

      I render tables using my formatter.
      Some tables are complex, with spannings, alignments and the like.

      I have to render those tables in pure ASCII text, with borders (not
      HTML, already done).

      Is there a commonly used solution, or do I have to do it myself? Or
      maybe it's a question for another list I am not aware of?

      Thanks

      Christian

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 8, 2004
        Christian Brugeron wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > It's not a strict XSL-FO question.
        >
        > I render tables using my formatter.

        Which one?

        > Some tables are complex, with spannings, alignments and the like.
        >
        > I have to render those tables in pure ASCII text, with borders (not
        > HTML, already done).

        FOP outputs plain text, XEP does not and I dont think Antenna House's
        formatter does either.

        The trouble with plain text output is the formatters are designed for
        Print output, so the internals all work in precise positioning units.
        When the Text Renderer processes the Area Tree, it has to round these
        values to the nearest character position, so the output often looks odd
        with some lines having spaces in words, and two blank lines between
        adjacent lines in a paragraph etc.

        FOP does also have a go at simulating the borders with | and - but it
        didnt do a very good job in my opinion when I tried it.

        Generally speaking a XSL-FO formatter is the wrong tool for generating
        text output, but that does not hold true for every scenario.

        Chris
      • christian brugeron
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 8, 2004
          I use XSL Formatter for PDF output.
          I use msxml as processor for html output.

          XSL Formatter cannot output text, I did not know that FOP can do it,
          thanks.

          So it simulates the tables with | an -, it is exactly what I want.

          In fact I was looking for some XSL examples, but if I can use my XSL for
          text output instead of FO, it’s good.

          How do I that?

          CB

          > Some tables are complex, with spannings, alignments and the like.
          >
          > I have to render those tables in pure ASCII text, with borders (not
          > HTML, already done).

          FOP outputs plain text, XEP does not and I dont think Antenna House's
          formatter does either.

          The trouble with plain text output is the formatters are designed for
          Print output, so the internals all work in precise positioning units.
          When the Text Renderer processes the Area Tree, it has to round these
          values to the nearest character position, so the output often looks odd
          with some lines having spaces in words, and two blank lines between
          adjacent lines in a paragraph etc.

          FOP does also have a go at simulating the borders with | and - but it
          didnt do a very good job in my opinion when I tried it.

          Generally speaking a XSL-FO formatter is the wrong tool for generating
          text output, but that does not hold true for every scenario.

          Chris

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links