How to show the total number of pages using FOP 1.0

  • Federico Worcel
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 7, 2004
      Hi everybody,

      I have been reading the questions about pagination and saw that many
      people have been asking about calculating with <page-number/> to show
      the previous page number or the following page number. I have also
      read the answers which state that <page-number/> only shows the
      current page number.

      My question is: is there any way on XSL-FO using FOP (I think in
      version 1.0) to show the total amount of pages to print? For example,
      if there are 5 pages to print they must show in the page number 1/5,
      2/5, 3/5, 4/5, 5/5. If there 8 pages: 1/8, 2/8, etc.

      That is, calculating beforehand the total amount of pages to print to
      locate this number after the bar.

      Thank you very much, I could solve many problems reading these
      messages, but I have never seen this problem before in the group.

      Federico.
    • Roland Neilands
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 7, 2004
        Frederico,

        > My question is: is there any way on XSL-FO using FOP (I think in
        > version 1.0) to show the total amount of pages to print? For example,
        > if there are 5 pages to print they must show in the page number 1/5,
        > 2/5, 3/5, 4/5, 5/5. If there 8 pages: 1/8, 2/8, etc.

        There is a detailed (FAQ) answer here:
        http://xml.apache.org/fop/fo.html#fo-total-pages

        Cheers,
        Roland
      • J.Pietschmann
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 7, 2004
          Federico Worcel wrote:
          > My question is: is there any way on XSL-FO using FOP (I think in
          > version 1.0) to show the total amount of pages to print?

          Yes.

          > Thank you very much, I could solve many problems reading these
          > messages, but I have never seen this problem before in the group.

          It's a FAQ, on other lists anyway:
          http://xml.apache.org/fop/faq.html#fo-total-pages

          J.Pietschmann
        • Federico Worcel
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 8, 2004
            --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "Roland Neilands" <rneilands@p...>
            wrote:
            > Frederico,
            >
            > > My question is: is there any way on XSL-FO using FOP (I think
            in
            > > version 1.0) to show the total amount of pages to print? For
            example,
            > > if there are 5 pages to print they must show in the page number
            1/5,
            > > 2/5, 3/5, 4/5, 5/5. If there 8 pages: 1/8, 2/8, etc.
            >
            > There is a detailed (FAQ) answer here:
            > http://xml.apache.org/fop/fo.html#fo-total-pages
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Roland

            Thanks a lot to both of you (Roland and J.Pietschmann) for showing me
            that link to the solution. I am sorry that I could not find it
            myself, that is because I always get lost navigating the Apache web
            site.

            In the end, I was able to solve the problem perfectly. Thanks again!

            Federico.
          • J.Pietschmann
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 8, 2004
              Federico Worcel wrote:
              > I always get lost navigating the Apache web
              > site.

              There's Google. Searching "FOP FAQ" is a good start. There is also
              the famous XSL FAQ, which also contains a lot of interesting FO stuff.

              J.Pietschmann