FO - PDF conversion - No of lines per page

  • anishrajv@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 13, 2001
      Hello!

      Now I am in the process of generating a pdf report
      using a XML and XSL-FO and FOP to convert the FO into
      PDF.

      I have a concern reg. the number of lines that can
      appear in a page with a height of 11in and
      8.5in width.

      <fo:simple-page-master master-name="rest"
      page-height="11in"
      page-width="8.5in"
      margin-top="0.5in"
      margin-bottom="0.5in"
      margin-left="0.5in"
      margin-right="0.5in">
      <fo:region-body margin-top="0.5in"/>

      <fo:region-before extent="1.5in"/>
      <fo:region-after extent="1.5in"/>
      </fo:simple-page-master>

      Right now my body is given the following template and
      I am getting 24 lines in the body and lot of unused
      area in the body... I want to make use of that unused
      area and reduce wasting paper... my page layout is
      given in inches and body is given in points ..... do I
      need to do any kind of calculation for limiting the
      number of lines.. could you please help me!

      Your help is highly appreciated!
      Ansih

      <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">

      <fo:block

      font-size="8pt"
      font-family="sans-serif"
      line-height="8pt" >
      <xsl:apply-templates
      select="eReconciliation"/>
      </fo:block>
    • Kevin Lindsey
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 14, 2001
        Ansih,
        Right now my body is given the following template and
        I am getting 24 lines in the body and lot of unused
        area in the body...  I want to make use of that unused
        area and reduce wasting paper... my page layout is
        given in inches and body is given in points ..... do I
        need to do any kind of calculation for limiting the
        number of lines.. could you please help me!
        I recreated your FO file and ran it through FOP.  I'm getting much more than 24 lines.  I've attached my sample files.  Perhaps they can help you to resolve the problem you are having.

        Kevin

      • anishrajv@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 16, 2001
          --- In XSL-FO@y..., "Kevin Lindsey" <kevin@k...> wrote:
          > Ansih,
          > Right now my body is given the following template and
          > I am getting 24 lines in the body and lot of unused
          > area in the body... I want to make use of that unused
          > area and reduce wasting paper... my page layout is
          > given in inches and body is given in points ..... do I
          > need to do any kind of calculation for limiting the
          > number of lines.. could you please help me!
          > I recreated your FO file and ran it through FOP. I'm getting much
          more than 24 lines. I've attached my sample files. Perhaps they can
          help you to resolve the problem you are having.

          > Kevin

          Thanks a lot Kevin,

          I checked your files and I have a concern related to the number of
          tables that can be declared in a single pdf page.. the reason why I
          ask you this question is .. you declared a fo:block and with in that
          block you had given fo:text... and you were able to get more than
          24 lines in a page, I tried the same and it works for me as long as I
          have data defined in fo:text...

          but in my case I need to have many tables with in a particular block,
          is there any thing that restricts the no of tables that can appear in
          a particular pdf page or block ???

          <fo:block
          font-size="8pt"
          font-family="sans-serif"
          line-height="8pt" >
          <xsl:apply-templates select="eRecod"/>
          </fo:block>

          here <xsl:apply-templates select="eRecod"/> will create many tables

          please advise!
        • Kevin Lindsey
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 16, 2001
            Ansih,

            >is there any thing that restricts the no of tables that can appear in
            >a particular pdf page or block ???

            I'm still learning about this stuff too, so I have no direct experience with
            this situation. The only limitations that should exist are:

            1) Memory needed to store the tables during the creation of the FO document
            and during the conversion to PDF
            2) The physical size of the page you are rendering too.

            Otherwise, there are no limitations that I can think of.

            Kevin