Re: psmi question

  • odekij61
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 6, 2004
      Hello,

      I do use commandline and a web application to create pdfs, but was
      thinking this is too complex. Now I'm trying this psmi thing out and
      I get an error because I call psmi in my xsl file within a block.

      The error says : error on loading data. XSLT transformation failed:
      Unexpected parent <xsl:block> for psmi:page-sequence.

      I believe this is mentioned in the psmi documentation:
      The one
      <{http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/resources/psmi}:page-sequence>
      construct is a block-level construct that must be an immediate child
      of an <{http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format}:flow> construct and not a
      descendant of any other PSMI construct. An error is reported and
      transformation halts if the PSMI construct is found anywhere it is not
      allowed, and no result is produced.

      Any idea if I can run this when I'm already in a block? I have
      chapters that are blocks, and then content inside that I will need to
      switch page layouts.

      I have no idea how to fix this error, so it looks like psmi won't work
      for my situation.

      Thanks,
      Jeremy

      --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@c...> wrote:
      > At 2004-01-05 22:11 +0000, odekij61 wrote:
      > >It makes sense now. I guess that means I can not use psmi to solve my
      > >problem.
      >
      > Not sure why, Jeremy ... I would assume that in a production
      environment
      > you wouldn't be running the XSL Formatter GUI and that you would
      probably
      > be running XSL Formatter from a command line oriented batch file.
      Are you
      > prevented from running, say, a Saxon process in advance of XSL
      Formatter

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 6, 2004
        At 2004-01-06 17:03 +0000, odekij61 wrote:
        >Now I'm trying this psmi thing out and
        >I get an error because I call psmi in my xsl file within a block.
        >
        >The error says : error on loading data. XSLT transformation failed:
        >Unexpected parent <xsl:block> for psmi:page-sequence.

        If you've transcribed the error message correctly, then one problem is
        <xsl:block> should be <fo:block> ... but you're right ... PSMI cannot be in
        a block.

        >I believe this is mentioned in the psmi documentation:
        >The one
        ><{http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/resources/psmi}:page-sequence>
        >construct is a block-level construct that must be an immediate child
        >of an <{http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format}:flow> construct and not a
        >descendant of any other PSMI construct. An error is reported and
        >transformation halts if the PSMI construct is found anywhere it is not
        >allowed, and no result is produced.

        Right ... pages cannot be found *inside* blocks, they can only be next to
        blocks.

        >Any idea if I can run this when I'm already in a block? I have
        >chapters that are blocks,

        Why have you put a chapter *in* a block? Typical contents at the top of
        the flow are sibling blocks. If you are looking for a place for a set of
        inherited properties, you can put them in the flow object itself and not in
        a wrapping block.

        >and then content inside that I will need to switch page layouts.

        Then I think you are out of luck ... I'm not sure what it means to put a
        page *in* a page ... you've put a block on your page so what does it mean
        to put a new page in that block you've just put on another page? The PSMI
        is used for switching page geometries so it assumes it is working *outside*
        of any areas of any area tree. It has to be an immediate child of
        <fo:flow> in order to be outside of any area.

        >I have no idea how to fix this error, so it looks like psmi won't work
        >for my situation.

        I guess so ... but look again at your flow ... if you have no reason for a
        wrapper block, and all of your top-level blocks of your flow are siblings,
        and you need a top-level table on a new page, then PSMI will work for you
        ... but the <fo:flow> doesn't allocate any areas in the area tree ...
        blocks create areas in the area tree for a page ... putting a *page* inside
        an area on a page doesn't make sense to me, so I couldn't find a way of
        putting that into the PSMI.

        Perhaps if you re-examined your flow of top-level areas in the area trees
        you might find your wrapper block is unnecessary. If it is necessary, then
        you'll have to think what it means to you to have a new page geometry
        inside of the area you created with your block.

        I hope this helps.