Re: [XSL-FO] psmi question

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2004
      At 2004-01-05 20:21 +0000, odekij61 wrote:
      >I have downloaded and run the example.fo of the page master sequence
      >interleave to help change pages from dynamic content. It worked and
      >the table changed to landscape layout when I ran the example.fo using
      >XSL Formatter V2.5MR5, but did not work when I ran the example.xml and
      >example.xsl files.

      Correct, I would anticipate that the landscaped table would have
      disappeared altogether.

      >Is there a way to use psmi without a .fo file?

      No, because none of the vendors have implemented the PSMI semantic
      natively. I've implemented the semantic in the supplied XSLT stylesheet
      that needs to be run against the *result* of running example.xml with
      example.xsl.

      >Am I doing something wrong? Or is there a problem with XSL FormatterV2.5MR5?

      You are not doing anything wrong other than assuming that any formatter
      package natively supports PSMI.

      The example.xsl creates a resulting PSMI+FO instance and must be processed
      by the psmi.xsl stylesheet in order to create a pure FO instance for
      processing by an engine. Without the conversion, FO engines are required
      to ignore unrecognized vocabulary in non-FO namespaces ... it is
      essentially an extension, but I've supplied an interpretation of the
      extension in a standard XSLT 1.0 stylesheet.

      So XSL Formatter is correctly processing the foreign unrecognized PSMI
      vocabulary without any errors (but also without the PSMI result).

      I hope this helps your understanding of the situation.

      ........................... Ken

      p.s. for readers of the mail list: only one day remains for anyone in the
      US east coast interested in the XSL training to preregister before we make
      a go/no-go decision on running the February delivery ... the way it stands
      today we don't have enough registrants to proceed and will have to cancel
      to prevent losing our hotel deposit.

      --
      North America (Washington, DC): 3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2004-02-09
      Instructor-led on-site corporate, government & user group training

      ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
      ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO
      ISBN 1-894049-11-X Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
      Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners: http://XMLGuild.info
    • odekij61
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 2004
        Hello,
        It makes sense now. I guess that means I can not use psmi to solve my
        problem.
        Thanks for the prompt reply!
        Jeremy

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 5, 2004
          At 2004-01-05 22:11 +0000, odekij61 wrote:
          >It makes sense now. I guess that means I can not use psmi to solve my
          >problem.

          Not sure why, Jeremy ... I would assume that in a production environment
          you wouldn't be running the XSL Formatter GUI and that you would probably
          be running XSL Formatter from a command line oriented batch file. Are you
          prevented from running, say, a Saxon process in advance of XSL Formatter
          and then just run XSL Formatter on the output?

          I'm curious (and I think others might be too) to know what practical
          limitations you have on implementing an external semantic as exemplified by
          the PSMI. The PSMI is a model for implementing custom formatting semantics
          as extensions to XSL-FO in an open fashion. If the details are sensitive,
          perhaps just email me off-line.

          Thanks for sharing!

          .......................... Ken

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 6, 2004
            Hello,

            I do use commandline and a web application to create pdfs, but was
            thinking this is too complex. Now I'm trying this psmi thing out and
            I get an error because I call psmi in my xsl file within a block.

            The error says : error on loading data. XSLT transformation failed:
            Unexpected parent <xsl:block> for psmi:page-sequence.

            I believe this is mentioned in the psmi documentation:
            The one
            <{http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/resources/psmi}:page-sequence>
            construct is a block-level construct that must be an immediate child
            of an <{http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format}:flow> construct and not a
            descendant of any other PSMI construct. An error is reported and
            transformation halts if the PSMI construct is found anywhere it is not
            allowed, and no result is produced.

            Any idea if I can run this when I'm already in a block? I have
            chapters that are blocks, and then content inside that I will need to
            switch page layouts.

            I have no idea how to fix this error, so it looks like psmi won't work
            for my situation.

            Thanks,

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 6, 2004
              At 2004-01-06 17:03 +0000, odekij61 wrote:
              >Now I'm trying this psmi thing out and
              >I get an error because I call psmi in my xsl file within a block.
              >
              >The error says : error on loading data. XSLT transformation failed:
              >Unexpected parent <xsl:block> for psmi:page-sequence.

              If you've transcribed the error message correctly, then one problem is
              <xsl:block> should be <fo:block> ... but you're right ... PSMI cannot be in
              a block.

              >I believe this is mentioned in the psmi documentation:
              >The one
              ><{http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/resources/psmi}:page-sequence>
              >construct is a block-level construct that must be an immediate child
              >of an <{http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format}:flow> construct and not a
              >descendant of any other PSMI construct. An error is reported and
              >transformation halts if the PSMI construct is found anywhere it is not
              >allowed, and no result is produced.

              Right ... pages cannot be found *inside* blocks, they can only be next to
              blocks.

              >Any idea if I can run this when I'm already in a block? I have
              >chapters that are blocks,

              Why have you put a chapter *in* a block? Typical contents at the top of
              the flow are sibling blocks. If you are looking for a place for a set of
              inherited properties, you can put them in the flow object itself and not in
              a wrapping block.

              >and then content inside that I will need to switch page layouts.

              Then I think you are out of luck ... I'm not sure what it means to put a
              page *in* a page ... you've put a block on your page so what does it mean
              to put a new page in that block you've just put on another page? The PSMI
              is used for switching page geometries so it assumes it is working *outside*
              of any areas of any area tree. It has to be an immediate child of
              <fo:flow> in order to be outside of any area.

              >I have no idea how to fix this error, so it looks like psmi won't work
              >for my situation.

              I guess so ... but look again at your flow ... if you have no reason for a
              wrapper block, and all of your top-level blocks of your flow are siblings,
              and you need a top-level table on a new page, then PSMI will work for you
              ... but the <fo:flow> doesn't allocate any areas in the area tree ...
              blocks create areas in the area tree for a page ... putting a *page* inside
              an area on a page doesn't make sense to me, so I couldn't find a way of
              putting that into the PSMI.

              Perhaps if you re-examined your flow of top-level areas in the area trees
              you might find your wrapper block is unnecessary. If it is necessary, then
              you'll have to think what it means to you to have a new page geometry
              inside of the area you created with your block.

              I hope this helps.