FOP - render name/value pairs without using table

  • markivs2003
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2004
      Hello,
      I am using Apache FOP. Is there any way to render name/value pairs
      (see figure below) without using a table ?

      ---------------------------
      NAME1 | VALUE 1
      ---------------------------
      NAME2 | VALUE 2
      ---------------------------
      NAME3 | VALUE 3
      ---------------------------

      I want "NAME" to have a margin-left so that it's not left aligned.

      I can accomplish this with a table based layout. But is there a way
      to do it without tables (since tables use a lot of memory) ?

      I tried using fo:inline. But fo:inline dose not honour margin-left.
      I can't use fo:block either, since it would render NAME and VALUE
      one below the other.

      Thanks in advance.
      -M
    • J.Pietschmann
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 2004
        markivs2003 wrote:
        > I am using Apache FOP. Is there any way to render name/value pairs
        > (see figure below) without using a table ?

        You can try a list-block, however, tables are easier to understand.

        > I can accomplish this with a table based layout. But is there a way
        > to do it without tables (since tables use a lot of memory) ?

        Do you actually have trouble, read OutOfMemoryExceptions? If you are
        willing to go through some trouble, there is also a patch in CVS which
        fixes most of the easily fixed memory problems with tables (although
        it may break other things).

        > I tried using fo:inline. But fo:inline dose not honour margin-left.
        The FOP implementation of fo:inline is basically the same semantic
        as fo:wrapper.
        You can try to play with leaders a bit.

        J.Pietschmann