RE : [XSL-FO] Re: apache fop not rendering pdf. goes into endless loop

  • christian brugeron
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2004
      I do agree. We tried XEP and XSL Formatter, and for hard work, we use
      XSL formatter.
      For some books, over 400 pages, even 1.5 gig of memory was not enough
      for XEP, and XSL formatter did it in 800 Megs.
      We kept XEP for multiplatform, relatively light composition.

      Hope that helps
      Christian

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2004
        > I do agree. We tried XEP and XSL Formatter, and for hard work, we use
        > XSL formatter.
        > For some books, over 400 pages, even 1.5 gig of memory was not enough
        > for XEP, and XSL formatter did it in 800 Megs.
        > We kept XEP for multiplatform, relatively light composition.
        >
        > Hope that helps
        > Christian

        Overall, XSL Formatter V2.* requires more memory than XEP. XSL FO Recommendation is
        formatted with RenderX XEP with -Xmx set too 200m, that is, 200 Megabytes, and it
        is more than 400 pages long.

        My guess is that you simply didn't change the default settings of Java Virtual Machine,
        which limits the heap size to 64 Megabytes, as it is described in almost every Java
        related FAQ. 1.5 gig is for 3000 pages long document at least.

        While the design can and should be changed towards less than linear memory requirements,
        the current implementation of RenderX XEP is usable for any practical formatting tasks.

        Sincerely,
        David Tolpin
      • Dave Pawson
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 1, 2004
          At 15:59 01/01/2004, David Tolpin wrote:

          >My guess is that you simply didn't change the default settings of Java
          >Virtual Machine,
          >which limits the heap size to 64 Megabytes, as it is described in almost
          >every Java
          >related FAQ. 1.5 gig is for 3000 pages long document at least.

          I've just done a 1929 pages, but as mentioned, the memory
          for the java implementation needed to be increased.

          java -Xms100M -Xmx200M did it for me.
          That for a 5.5 mb source file.

          HTH DaveP
        • christian brugeron
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 1, 2004
            I did change the memory requirements; it simply did not make it.
            Maybe I had to play with some other options (I tried Xmx and Xms)
            The source file was 8meg, and it worked if I did not want a cross-ref
            index (in fact I needed 2 indexes).

            Thanks for your input.
            Christian

            At 15:59 01/01/2004, David Tolpin wrote:

            >My guess is that you simply didn't change the default settings of Java
            >Virtual Machine,
            >which limits the heap size to 64 Megabytes, as it is described in
            almost
            >every Java
            >related FAQ. 1.5 gig is for 3000 pages long document at least.

            I've just done a 1929 pages, but as mentioned, the memory
            for the java implementation needed to be increased.

            java -Xms100M -Xmx200M did it for me.
            That for a 5.5 mb source file.

            HTH DaveP

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cv4goj3/M=266841.4316200.5507732.1261774/D=eg
            roupweb/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1073059893/A=1911858/R=0/*http:/www.lifescap
            einc.com/picasa/landing.php?capid=222&caId=1987> click here

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=266841.4316200.5507732.1261774/D=egrou
            pmail/S=:HM/A=1911858/rand=219330305>

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • David Tolpin
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 1, 2004
              > I did change the memory requirements; it simply did not make it.
              > Maybe I had to play with some other options (I tried Xmx and Xms)
              > The source file was 8meg, and it worked if I did not want a cross-ref
              > index (in fact I needed 2 indexes).

              Did you report the problem to the support team of RenderX? If it is
              a memory issue related to indices, then it should be fixed.

              The current version of RenderX XEP is normally mentioned at http://xep.xattic.com/.
              Did you obtain those results with the current version?

              David Tolpin
            • christian brugeron
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 1, 2004
                It was last year, as I did it with XSL formatter, I did not try this
                project with a newer version of XEP. Neither did I report the problem.
                I had the very same problem with FOP.

                BTW, how to you output a vertical bar between two columns, and that
                stops when a block spans the 2 column? XSL Formatter has an extension,
                and I don’t know how to do it without.

                Christian

                http://xep.xattic.com/. <http://xep.xattic.com/>
                Did you obtain those results with the current version?

                David Tolpin
                _____

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Alexander Peshkov
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 5, 2004
                  Hello Christian,

                  cb> BTW, how to you output a vertical bar between two columns, and that
                  cb> stops when a block spans the 2 column? XSL Formatter has an extension,
                  cb> and I don’t know how to do it without.

                  You can draw a rule in SVG and place it into the background of the
                  body-region (block with span="all" in this case should have
                  background-color="white"). The only shortcoming of this approach is
                  that this rule will be drawn through all the page even if columns are
                  shorter.
                  There is another solution which gives you desired result although it's
                  a kind of hack:
                  - wrap whole text in a fo:block with left/right borders as thick as
                  required rule and left/right padding with the size equal to
                  (column-gap width minus rule width) divided by two.
                  This way you have desired rule between columns and undesired
                  border on either sides.
                  - add symmetrical region-start/region-end which have extents as
                  wide as region-body margin minus padding of fo:block (calculated
                  above). Place in appropriate static contents fo:block-container
                  with height="100%" and background-color="white" (it should have
                  some non-empty content, i.e. block with empty leader inside).
                  These containers will be drawn atop of the side borders and will
                  hide them.

                  I'll send you a sample demonstrating both approaches off-list.

                  Best regards,
                  Alexander Peshkov mailto:peshkov@...
                  RenderX

                  cb> Christian

                  cb> -----Message d'origine-----
                  cb> De : David Tolpin [mailto:dvd@...]
                  cb> Envoyé : jeudi 1 janvier 2004 18:29
                  cb> À : XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com
                  cb> Objet : Re: RE : RE : [XSL-FO] Re: apache fop not rendering pdf. goes
                  cb> into endless loop

                  cb> [ Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, converting... ]
                  >> I did change the memory requirements; it simply did not make it.
                  >> Maybe I had to play with some other options (I tried Xmx and Xms)
                  >> The source file was 8meg, and it worked if I did not want a cross-ref
                  >> index (in fact I needed 2 indexes).

                  cb> Did you report the problem to the support team of RenderX? If it is
                  cb> a memory issue related to indices, then it should be fixed.

                  cb> The current version of RenderX XEP is normally mentioned at
                  cb> http://xep.xattic.com/. <http://xep.xattic.com/>
                  cb> Did you obtain those results with the current version?

                  cb> David Tolpin
                  cb> _____

                  cb> Yahoo! Groups Links
                  cb> * To visit your group on the web, go to:

                  cb> * To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

                  cb> * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                  cb> Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                  cb> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                  cb> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/