Re: [XSL-FO] dynamic header content

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2001
      At 01/07/05 10:00 +0100, f d wrote:
      >Is is possible to create dynamic header content, i.e.
      >based on a value in an XML file?

      If you mean a facility exemplified by "dictionary heads" (i.e. static
      content with dynamic components resolved at formatting time), then yes it
      is indeed possible. You know, those words in the header of a dictionary
      that reflect the first and/or last word on the page or open pages, used as
      navigation aids for the reader.

      The mechanism is dubbed "markers", and one defines "marker" values in the
      flow and reflects particular markers' values in static content using
      "retrieve-marker".

      Check out sections 6.11.3 and 6.11.4 ... they are very straightforward to use.

      I hope this helps.

      ....................... Ken

      Web site: XSL/XML/DSSSL/SGML/OmniMark services, training, products.
      Book: Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath ISBN 1-894049-06-3
      Article: What is XSLT? http://www.xml.com/pub/2000/08/holman/index.html
      Next public instructor-led training: 2001-08-12,08-13,09-19,10-01,
      - 10-04,10-22,10-29,02-02

      Training Blitz: 3-days XSLT/XPath, 2-days XSLFO in Ottawa 2001-10-01/05
    • f d
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 10, 2001
        I want to put the value of an xml element in an xml
        file into the header.

        I have seen most examples which include a header
        include the header within a static content tag which
        obviously doesn't let you use values of elements from
        an xml file.

        frank

        do you mean you want the text in the header dynamic,
        as in the page
        number
        followed by a concatenation of the xml filename and
        some sort of
        welcome
        text? or do you want your header itself to be dynamic,
        as in size,
        color
        etc. depending on some commands in the xml, like
        <header
        increase-by="20"
        color="00"/>
        the answer to either is yeah, although the second is
        really an xsl-t
        question, albeit for how to output specific xsl-fo.
        can you come with
        an
        example of what you're trying to do, indicating what
        you want to be
        dynamically dependant on the xml.
        Is this also by any chance a server-side
        transformation of the xml to
        pdf
        depending on inputs by some visitor on the site? I ask
        as this is the
        context where I most often here the word "dynamic"

        Is is possible to create dynamic header content, i.e.
        based on a value in an XML file?

        thanks in advance

        frank

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 10, 2001
          In a message dated 10/07/01 11:12:07 GMT Daylight Time, dalyfg@...
          writes:

          I want to put the value of an xml element in an xml
          file into the header.

          I have seen most examples which include a header
          include the header within a static content tag which
          obviously doesn't let you use values of elements from
          an xml file.

          frank

          Frank,

          The XSLT <xsl:value-of> element will let you do what you want to do.

          Just insert the <xsl:value-of> element with a select attribute containing an
          appropriate XPath location path and it should all work.

          Nest it within an <fo:block> which is itself nested within an <
          fo:static-content> element and you should be ok.

          Andrew Watt