RE: [XSL-FO] dynamic header content

  • Bryan Rasmussen
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2001
      do you mean you want the text in the header dynamic, as in the page number
      followed by a concatenation of the xml filename and some sort of welcome
      text? or do you want your header itself to be dynamic, as in size, color
      etc. depending on some commands in the xml, like <header increase-by="20"
      color="00"/>
      the answer to either is yeah, although the second is really an xsl-t
      question, albeit for how to output specific xsl-fo. can you come with an
      example of what you're trying to do, indicating what you want to be
      dynamically dependant on the xml.
      Is this also by any chance a server-side transformation of the xml to pdf
      depending on inputs by some visitor on the site? I ask as this is the
      context where I most often here the word "dynamic"

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 5, 2001
        At 01/07/05 10:00 +0100, f d wrote:
        >Is is possible to create dynamic header content, i.e.
        >based on a value in an XML file?

        If you mean a facility exemplified by "dictionary heads" (i.e. static
        content with dynamic components resolved at formatting time), then yes it
        is indeed possible. You know, those words in the header of a dictionary
        that reflect the first and/or last word on the page or open pages, used as
        navigation aids for the reader.

        The mechanism is dubbed "markers", and one defines "marker" values in the
        flow and reflects particular markers' values in static content using
        "retrieve-marker".

        Check out sections 6.11.3 and 6.11.4 ... they are very straightforward to use.

        I hope this helps.

        ....................... Ken

        Web site: XSL/XML/DSSSL/SGML/OmniMark services, training, products.
        Book: Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath ISBN 1-894049-06-3
        Article: What is XSLT? http://www.xml.com/pub/2000/08/holman/index.html
        Next public instructor-led training: 2001-08-12,08-13,09-19,10-01,
        - 10-04,10-22,10-29,02-02

        Training Blitz: 3-days XSLT/XPath, 2-days XSLFO in Ottawa 2001-10-01/05
      • f d
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 10, 2001
          I want to put the value of an xml element in an xml
          file into the header.

          I have seen most examples which include a header
          include the header within a static content tag which
          obviously doesn't let you use values of elements from
          an xml file.

          frank

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 10, 2001
            In a message dated 10/07/01 11:12:07 GMT Daylight Time, dalyfg@...
            writes:

            I want to put the value of an xml element in an xml
            file into the header.

            I have seen most examples which include a header
            include the header within a static content tag which
            obviously doesn't let you use values of elements from
            an xml file.

            frank

            Frank,

            The XSLT <xsl:value-of> element will let you do what you want to do.

            Just insert the <xsl:value-of> element with a select attribute containing an
            appropriate XPath location path and it should all work.

            Nest it within an <fo:block> which is itself nested within an <
            fo:static-content> element and you should be ok.

            Andrew Watt