RE: [XSL-FO] Static content dependant on page content

  • Grimley Michael J NPRI
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 2, 2003
      G. Ken Holman wrote:
      > Since you have contrasting values, it wouldn't look very good, but yes ...
      > the human reader would give a "priority" to the presence of one, as would
      > the reader of three levels of security on a page.

      I think in my case, because it is a binary choice, I'll be better off displaying 'Changed' when one exists on the page and just displaying nothing when there are none (nothing implies 'Unchanged'). That's what I'm doing now.

      > Eliot's clever idea is worth exploring!

      I'll be trying that out as soon as I can; I'll post my results.

      Thank You Much,
      Mike
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 2, 2003
        At 2003-12-02 15:07 -0600, W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
        >G. Ken Holman wrote:
        > > Limiting the *retrieval* of the marker can be done on a page boundary by
        > > using retrieve-boundary, but you cannot *evaluate* the marker on any
        > > boundary other than those calculated during your transformation. Page
        > > boundaries are not known at transformation time, so you can't set anything
        > > the way that you ask.
        >
        >I wonder if you could something with z-index, such that you retrieve all
        >the values into the same physical area (using absolutely-positioned
        >block containers with an opaque background color)

        Bingo! Well done, Eliot, it works like a charm with Antenna House! I
        created a number of blocks with markers for each of three levels:
        "classified", "secret" and "top secret". I used three numeric values for
        the z-index and used your suggestion and it looks seamless: only the
        highest of the three present on the page, if present, show up on the
        printed output.

        Thanks!

        .................. Ken

        --
        Next public European delivery: 3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2004-01-??
        Instructor-led on-site corporate, government & user group training

        ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
        ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO
        ISBN 1-894049-11-X Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
        Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners: http://XMLGuild.info
      • W. Eliot Kimber
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 2, 2003
          G. Ken Holman wrote:

          > At 2003-12-02 15:07 -0600, W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
          >
          >>G. Ken Holman wrote:
          >>
          >>>Limiting the *retrieval* of the marker can be done on a page boundary by
          >>>using retrieve-boundary, but you cannot *evaluate* the marker on any
          >>>boundary other than those calculated during your transformation. Page
          >>>boundaries are not known at transformation time, so you can't set anything
          >>>the way that you ask.
          >>
          >>I wonder if you could something with z-index, such that you retrieve all
          >>the values into the same physical area (using absolutely-positioned
          >>block containers with an opaque background color)
          >

          > Bingo! Well done, Eliot, it works like a charm with Antenna House! I
          > created a number of blocks with markers for each of three levels:
          > "classified", "secret" and "top secret". I used three numeric values for
          > the z-index and used your suggestion and it looks seamless: only the
          > highest of the three present on the page, if present, show up on the
          > printed output.

          Cool. Until now I thought this was impossible. Thanks for trying it out.

          Cheers,

          E.

          --
          W. Eliot Kimber
          Innodata Isogen
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 2, 2003
            At 2003-12-02 16:52 -0600, W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
            >Cool. Until now I thought this was impossible.

            Me too ... so I've now added this to Chapter 12 of my book, included a
            running example, and attributed you as the source for the strategy.

            Mike, for your example, just co-locate two absolutely-positioned block
            containers in your static content, one with a fixed string "Unchanged" and
            the other with an opaque background and retrieve the maker class that
            defines the string "Changed". When not present on a page, the "Unchanged"
            will appear, and when present, it will obscure it.

            Thanks!

            ................. Ken

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 3, 2003
              G. Ken Holman wrote:
              > Bingo! Well done, Eliot, it works like a charm with Antenna House!

              Also works with XEP 3.6.

              Thank you both very much!

              Mike Grimley
            • Alexander Peshkov
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 3, 2003
                Hello Grimley,

                GMJN> Also works with XEP 3.6.

                It can sound a bit surprising since XEP do not support 'z-index'. :-)
                Actually every following block-container will eclipse previous one in
                the order of retrieve-markers. So I suppose you have first
                retrieve-marker with class 'unchanged' and second retrieve-marker with
                class 'changed' - in this case the latter one will mask the former
                one. I believe that in such a way you can achieve required
                functionality without any z-indexes with any number of classes.

                Best regards,
                Alexander Peshkov mailto:peshkov@...
                RenderX

                GMJN> Thank you both very much!

                GMJN> Mike Grimley
              • Grimley Michael J NPRI
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 3, 2003
                  Hello Peshkov,

                  AP> It can sound a bit surprising since XEP do not support 'z-index'. :-

                  Actually, I didn't use z-index; I simply layered them as you indicate.

                  Mike

                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 3, 2003
                    > It can sound a bit surprising since XEP do not support 'z-index'. :-)
                    > Actually every following block-container will eclipse previous one in
                    > the order of retrieve-markers. So I suppose you have first
                    > retrieve-marker with class 'unchanged' and second retrieve-marker with
                    > class 'changed' - in this case the latter one will mask the former
                    > one. I believe that in such a way you can achieve required
                    > functionality without any z-indexes with any number of classes.

                    So, what's the code?

                    Does one have to have fo:retrieve-markers in the order of accending precedence?
                    Then if there is a marker to retrieve the latest retrieved will generate an
                    absolute container on top of the rest?

                    Nice idea, really. That way the order of importance is specified explicitely
                    and in the same place; z-index is not needed.

                    David Tolpin
                  • Alexander Peshkov
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 3, 2003
                      Hello David,

                      DT> So, what's the code?

                      Markers:
                      <fo:marker marker-class-name="unchanged">
                      <fo:block-container position="absolute" top="0.5in" left="1in" width="2in" height="0.5in" background-color="white">
                      <fo:block>**unchanged**</fo:block>
                      </fo:block-container>
                      </fo:marker>

                      <fo:marker marker-class-name="changed">
                      <fo:block-container position="absolute" top="0.5in" left="1in" width="2in" height="0.5in" background-color="white">
                      <fo:block>++changed++</fo:block>
                      </fo:block-container>
                      </fo:marker>

                      Static content:
                      <fo:static-content flow-name="xsl-region-before">
                      <fo:retrieve-marker retrieve-class-name="unchanged" retrieve-position="first-including-carryover" retrieve-boundary="page"/>
                      <fo:retrieve-marker retrieve-class-name="changed" retrieve-position="first-including-carryover" retrieve-boundary="page"/>
                      </fo:static-content>

                      DT> Does one have to have fo:retrieve-markers in the order of accending precedence?

                      Yes.

                      DT> Then if there is a marker to retrieve the latest retrieved will generate an
                      DT> absolute container on top of the rest?

                      Yes.

                      DT> Nice idea, really. That way the order of importance is specified explicitely
                      DT> and in the same place; z-index is not needed.

                      That's just what I was saying. :-)

                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 3, 2003
                        Because I simply have a choice of two, I have the block displaying 'Unchanged' by default. I only set the marker if the status of an instruction is 'Changed'. If there is a 'Changed' marker, it simply covers the default.

                        <fo:static-content flow-name="EvenPage-header">
                        <fo:block-container height="30pt" position="fixed" top="2.5pc" text-align="center">
                        <fo:block xsl:use-attribute-sets="Status">Unchanged</fo:block>
                        </fo:block-container>
                        <fo:block-container height="30pt" position="fixed" top="2.5pc" text-align="center">
                        <fo:retrieve-marker retrieve-class-name="Status" retrieve-position="first-including-carryover" retrieve-boundary="page"/>
                        </fo:block-container>
                        </fo:static-content>

                        Mike Grimley

                        > It can sound a bit surprising since XEP do not support 'z-index'. :-)
                        > Actually every following block-container will eclipse previous one in
                        > the order of retrieve-markers. So I suppose you have first
                        > retrieve-marker with class 'unchanged' and second retrieve-marker with
                        > class 'changed' - in this case the latter one will mask the former
                        > one. I believe that in such a way you can achieve required
                        > functionality without any z-indexes with any number of classes.

                        So, what's the code?

                        Does one have to have fo:retrieve-markers in the order of accending precedence?
                        Then if there is a marker to retrieve the latest retrieved will generate an
                        absolute container on top of the rest?

                        Nice idea, really. That way the order of importance is specified explicitely
                        and in the same place; z-index is not needed.

                        David Tolpin

                      • J.Pietschmann
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 3, 2003
                          G. Ken Holman wrote:
                          > Mike, for your example, just co-locate two absolutely-positioned block
                          > containers in your static content, one with a fixed string "Unchanged" and
                          > the other with an opaque background and retrieve the maker class that
                          > defines the string "Changed". When not present on a page, the "Unchanged"
                          > will appear, and when present, it will obscure it.

                          The FOP distribution has an example for this (in examples/fo/markers/hide.fo)
                          although it has to use an SVG for hiding because of FOP restrictions at the
                          time the example was provided.

                          J.Pietschmann