Static content dependant on page content

  • Grimley Michael J NPRI
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 2, 2003
      Greetings,

      My source XML instance contains a sequence of <Instruction> elements, each having a 'Status' attribute that contains one of the values 'Changed'|'Unchanged'.

      When transformed/formatted/printed, each page will satisfy one of the following conditions:

      1. All of the Instructions are 'Changed'.
      2. One or more of the Instructions are 'Changed' and one or more are 'Unchanged'.
      3. All of the Instructions are 'Unchanged'.

      If the page satisfies conditions 1 or 2, I need to print 'Changed' in the Header/Footer. If the page satisfies condition 3, I need to print 'Unchanged'.

      I realize I will be using fo:marker, but cannot figure out how to limit the evaluation of the 'Status' attributes to the printed page when setting the marker's value.

      Any ideas?

      Thanks,
      Mike Grimley
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 2, 2003
        Hi Mike!

        At 2003-12-02 14:24 -0500, Grimley Michael J NPRI wrote:
        >My source XML instance contains a sequence of <Instruction> elements, each
        >having a 'Status' attribute that contains one of the values
        >'Changed'|'Unchanged'.
        >If the page satisfies conditions 1 or 2, I need to print 'Changed' in the
        >Header/Footer. If the page satisfies condition 3, I need to print 'Unchanged'.
        >
        >I realize I will be using fo:marker, but cannot figure out how to limit
        >the evaluation of the 'Status' attributes to the printed page when setting
        >the marker's value.

        Limiting the *retrieval* of the marker can be done on a page boundary by
        using retrieve-boundary, but you cannot *evaluate* the marker on any
        boundary other than those calculated during your transformation. Page
        boundaries are not known at transformation time, so you can't set anything
        the way that you ask.

        Yours is another example of arbitrating between markers found on a page,
        such as needed to "percolate" to the top of a page the highest of a range
        of security markers found in the page's content: "confidential", "secret"
        and "top secret". You can retrieve each of these individually, but you
        cannot arbitrate between them. The work-around I've given in the past is
        to retrieve all possible values present and let the human being filtering
        the pages determine the highest from what they see. Not perfect, but it works.

        XSL-FO 1.0 has no arbitration of retrieved markers ... I don't know if it
        might be coming in a 1.1 or later release.

        I hope this helps (though I realize I've told you you can't do what you
        want to do!).

        ....................... Ken

        --
        Next public European delivery: 3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2004-01-??
        Instructor-led on-site corporate, government & user group training

        ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
        ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO
        ISBN 1-894049-11-X Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
        Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners: http://XMLGuild.info
      • W. Eliot Kimber
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 2, 2003
          G. Ken Holman wrote:

          > Hi Mike!
          >
          > At 2003-12-02 14:24 -0500, Grimley Michael J NPRI wrote:
          >
          >>My source XML instance contains a sequence of <Instruction> elements, each
          >>having a 'Status' attribute that contains one of the values
          >>'Changed'|'Unchanged'.
          >>If the page satisfies conditions 1 or 2, I need to print 'Changed' in the
          >>Header/Footer. If the page satisfies condition 3, I need to print 'Unchanged'.
          >>
          >>I realize I will be using fo:marker, but cannot figure out how to limit
          >>the evaluation of the 'Status' attributes to the printed page when setting
          >>the marker's value.
          >

          > Limiting the *retrieval* of the marker can be done on a page boundary by
          > using retrieve-boundary, but you cannot *evaluate* the marker on any
          > boundary other than those calculated during your transformation. Page
          > boundaries are not known at transformation time, so you can't set anything
          > the way that you ask.

          I wonder if you could something with z-index, such that you retrieve all
          the values into the same physical area (using absolutely-positioned
          block containers with an opaque background color) and then set the
          z-index of "changed" is higher than the z-index of "Unchanged"? If there
          are any "changed" blocks, then they would overlay the unchanged blocks.

          This might work with XEP or XSL Formatter, but I haven't tried it.

          Cheers,

          E.
          --
          W. Eliot Kimber
          Innodata Isogen
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 2, 2003
            Hi Ken! (I'm always amazed at how you find the time to wear all your different hats *and* participate in these lists...)

            > The work-around I've given in the past is
            > to retrieve all possible values present and let the human being filtering
            > the pages determine the highest from what they see. Not perfect, but it works.

            Are you suggesting displaying 'Changed' and 'Unchanged' in the header/footer of every page where either may occur? or am I missing something?

            Also, the implication seems to be that I would not even be able to determine if one @Status='Changed' appears on the page, correct?

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 2, 2003
              At 2003-12-02 16:15 -0500, you wrote:
              > > The work-around I've given in the past is
              > > to retrieve all possible values present and let the human being filtering
              > > the pages determine the highest from what they see. Not perfect, but
              > it works.
              >
              >Are you suggesting displaying 'Changed' and 'Unchanged' in the
              >header/footer of every page where either may occur? or am I missing something?

              Since you have contrasting values, it wouldn't look very good, but yes ...
              the human reader would give a "priority" to the presence of one, as would
              the reader of three levels of security on a page.

              >Also, the implication seems to be that I would not even be able to
              >determine if one @Status='Changed' appears on the page, correct?

              Right ... "determination" typically happens in XSLT because only very few
              determinations can be made by the XSL-FO processor. The XSL-FO processor
              can determine which markers are on a page, but you can't determine that
              during transformation, so you can't decide between them.

              Eliot's clever idea is worth exploring!

              ....................... Ken

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 2, 2003
                G. Ken Holman wrote:
                > Since you have contrasting values, it wouldn't look very good, but yes ...
                > the human reader would give a "priority" to the presence of one, as would
                > the reader of three levels of security on a page.

                I think in my case, because it is a binary choice, I'll be better off displaying 'Changed' when one exists on the page and just displaying nothing when there are none (nothing implies 'Unchanged'). That's what I'm doing now.

                > Eliot's clever idea is worth exploring!

                I'll be trying that out as soon as I can; I'll post my results.

                Thank You Much,
                Mike
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 2, 2003
                  At 2003-12-02 15:07 -0600, W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
                  >G. Ken Holman wrote:
                  > > Limiting the *retrieval* of the marker can be done on a page boundary by
                  > > using retrieve-boundary, but you cannot *evaluate* the marker on any
                  > > boundary other than those calculated during your transformation. Page
                  > > boundaries are not known at transformation time, so you can't set anything
                  > > the way that you ask.
                  >
                  >I wonder if you could something with z-index, such that you retrieve all
                  >the values into the same physical area (using absolutely-positioned
                  >block containers with an opaque background color)

                  Bingo! Well done, Eliot, it works like a charm with Antenna House! I
                  created a number of blocks with markers for each of three levels:
                  "classified", "secret" and "top secret". I used three numeric values for
                  the z-index and used your suggestion and it looks seamless: only the
                  highest of the three present on the page, if present, show up on the
                  printed output.

                  Thanks!

                  .................. Ken

                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 2, 2003
                    G. Ken Holman wrote:

                    > At 2003-12-02 15:07 -0600, W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
                    >
                    >>G. Ken Holman wrote:
                    >>
                    >>>Limiting the *retrieval* of the marker can be done on a page boundary by
                    >>>using retrieve-boundary, but you cannot *evaluate* the marker on any
                    >>>boundary other than those calculated during your transformation. Page
                    >>>boundaries are not known at transformation time, so you can't set anything
                    >>>the way that you ask.
                    >>
                    >>I wonder if you could something with z-index, such that you retrieve all
                    >>the values into the same physical area (using absolutely-positioned
                    >>block containers with an opaque background color)
                    >

                    > Bingo! Well done, Eliot, it works like a charm with Antenna House! I
                    > created a number of blocks with markers for each of three levels:
                    > "classified", "secret" and "top secret". I used three numeric values for
                    > the z-index and used your suggestion and it looks seamless: only the
                    > highest of the three present on the page, if present, show up on the
                    > printed output.

                    Cool. Until now I thought this was impossible. Thanks for trying it out.

                    Cheers,

                    E.

                    --
                    W. Eliot Kimber
                    Innodata Isogen
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 2, 2003
                      At 2003-12-02 16:52 -0600, W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
                      >Cool. Until now I thought this was impossible.

                      Me too ... so I've now added this to Chapter 12 of my book, included a
                      running example, and attributed you as the source for the strategy.

                      Mike, for your example, just co-locate two absolutely-positioned block
                      containers in your static content, one with a fixed string "Unchanged" and
                      the other with an opaque background and retrieve the maker class that
                      defines the string "Changed". When not present on a page, the "Unchanged"
                      will appear, and when present, it will obscure it.

                      Thanks!

                      ................. Ken

                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 3, 2003
                        G. Ken Holman wrote:
                        > Bingo! Well done, Eliot, it works like a charm with Antenna House!

                        Also works with XEP 3.6.

                        Thank you both very much!

                        Mike Grimley
                      • Alexander Peshkov
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 3, 2003
                          Hello Grimley,

                          GMJN> Also works with XEP 3.6.

                          It can sound a bit surprising since XEP do not support 'z-index'. :-)
                          Actually every following block-container will eclipse previous one in
                          the order of retrieve-markers. So I suppose you have first
                          retrieve-marker with class 'unchanged' and second retrieve-marker with
                          class 'changed' - in this case the latter one will mask the former
                          one. I believe that in such a way you can achieve required
                          functionality without any z-indexes with any number of classes.

                          Best regards,
                          Alexander Peshkov mailto:peshkov@...
                          RenderX

                          GMJN> Thank you both very much!

                          GMJN> Mike Grimley
                        • Grimley Michael J NPRI
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 3, 2003
                            Hello Peshkov,

                            AP> It can sound a bit surprising since XEP do not support 'z-index'. :-

                            Actually, I didn't use z-index; I simply layered them as you indicate.

                            Mike

                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 3, 2003
                              > It can sound a bit surprising since XEP do not support 'z-index'. :-)
                              > Actually every following block-container will eclipse previous one in
                              > the order of retrieve-markers. So I suppose you have first
                              > retrieve-marker with class 'unchanged' and second retrieve-marker with
                              > class 'changed' - in this case the latter one will mask the former
                              > one. I believe that in such a way you can achieve required
                              > functionality without any z-indexes with any number of classes.

                              So, what's the code?

                              Does one have to have fo:retrieve-markers in the order of accending precedence?
                              Then if there is a marker to retrieve the latest retrieved will generate an
                              absolute container on top of the rest?

                              Nice idea, really. That way the order of importance is specified explicitely
                              and in the same place; z-index is not needed.

                              David Tolpin
                            • Alexander Peshkov
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 3, 2003
                                Hello David,

                                DT> So, what's the code?

                                Markers:
                                <fo:marker marker-class-name="unchanged">
                                <fo:block-container position="absolute" top="0.5in" left="1in" width="2in" height="0.5in" background-color="white">
                                <fo:block>**unchanged**</fo:block>
                                </fo:block-container>
                                </fo:marker>

                                <fo:marker marker-class-name="changed">
                                <fo:block-container position="absolute" top="0.5in" left="1in" width="2in" height="0.5in" background-color="white">
                                <fo:block>++changed++</fo:block>
                                </fo:block-container>
                                </fo:marker>

                                Static content:
                                <fo:static-content flow-name="xsl-region-before">
                                <fo:retrieve-marker retrieve-class-name="unchanged" retrieve-position="first-including-carryover" retrieve-boundary="page"/>
                                <fo:retrieve-marker retrieve-class-name="changed" retrieve-position="first-including-carryover" retrieve-boundary="page"/>
                                </fo:static-content>

                                DT> Does one have to have fo:retrieve-markers in the order of accending precedence?

                                Yes.

                                DT> Then if there is a marker to retrieve the latest retrieved will generate an
                                DT> absolute container on top of the rest?

                                Yes.

                                DT> Nice idea, really. That way the order of importance is specified explicitely
                                DT> and in the same place; z-index is not needed.

                                That's just what I was saying. :-)

                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 3, 2003
                                  Because I simply have a choice of two, I have the block displaying 'Unchanged' by default. I only set the marker if the status of an instruction is 'Changed'. If there is a 'Changed' marker, it simply covers the default.

                                  <fo:static-content flow-name="EvenPage-header">
                                  <fo:block-container height="30pt" position="fixed" top="2.5pc" text-align="center">
                                  <fo:block xsl:use-attribute-sets="Status">Unchanged</fo:block>
                                  </fo:block-container>
                                  <fo:block-container height="30pt" position="fixed" top="2.5pc" text-align="center">
                                  <fo:retrieve-marker retrieve-class-name="Status" retrieve-position="first-including-carryover" retrieve-boundary="page"/>
                                  </fo:block-container>
                                  </fo:static-content>

                                  Mike Grimley

                                  > It can sound a bit surprising since XEP do not support 'z-index'. :-)
                                  > Actually every following block-container will eclipse previous one in
                                  > the order of retrieve-markers. So I suppose you have first
                                  > retrieve-marker with class 'unchanged' and second retrieve-marker with
                                  > class 'changed' - in this case the latter one will mask the former
                                  > one. I believe that in such a way you can achieve required
                                  > functionality without any z-indexes with any number of classes.

                                  So, what's the code?

                                  Does one have to have fo:retrieve-markers in the order of accending precedence?
                                  Then if there is a marker to retrieve the latest retrieved will generate an
                                  absolute container on top of the rest?

                                  Nice idea, really. That way the order of importance is specified explicitely
                                  and in the same place; z-index is not needed.

                                  David Tolpin

                                • J.Pietschmann
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 3, 2003
                                    G. Ken Holman wrote:
                                    > Mike, for your example, just co-locate two absolutely-positioned block
                                    > containers in your static content, one with a fixed string "Unchanged" and
                                    > the other with an opaque background and retrieve the maker class that
                                    > defines the string "Changed". When not present on a page, the "Unchanged"
                                    > will appear, and when present, it will obscure it.

                                    The FOP distribution has an example for this (in examples/fo/markers/hide.fo)
                                    although it has to use an SVG for hiding because of FOP restrictions at the
                                    time the example was provided.

                                    J.Pietschmann