Re: [XSL-FO] What for fo:inline has width and height attributes

  • J.Pietschmann
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2003
      Victor Vishnyakov wrote:

      > Why and what for "6.6.7 fo:inline" has "7.14.4 height" and "7.14.12
      > width" attributes?
      > Is there any usage case or it is the bug in the spec?

      A fo:inline creates an area (in contrast to fo:wrapper), complete
      with borders, background, padding and whatnot. You can use it to
      draw a nice large frame around a word to highlight, and use increased
      height and width to make it even more stand out.

      Corrollary: using fo:inline for just changing text decoration or
      the font family is overkill. Use fo:wrapper for this purpose.

      J.Pietschmann
    • Victor Vishnyakov
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2003
        > Victor Vishnyakov wrote:
        >
        > > Why and what for "6.6.7 fo:inline" has "7.14.4 height" and "7.14.12
        > > width" attributes? Is there any usage case or it is the bug in the
        > > spec?
        >
        > A fo:inline creates an area (in contrast to fo:wrapper),
        > complete with borders, background, padding and whatnot. You
        > can use it to draw a nice large frame around a word to
        > highlight, and use increased height and width to make it even
        > more stand out.
        >
        > Corrollary: using fo:inline for just changing text decoration
        > or the font family is overkill. Use fo:wrapper for this purpose.
        >
        > J.Pietschmann

        Padding/border/margin/etc and "normal inline-area" is absolutely clear.
        But as I understand "6.6.8 fo:inline-container" is designed to control
        width and height and has at least "7.20.2 overflow" attribute ... "6.6.7
        fo:inline" doesn't.

        > . . . and use increased height and width to make it even more stand
        out . . .

        I do not know whether I am increasing width/height or not. Width and
        height is unknown during stylesheet design.

        Thus, I can not understand the purpose of this properties for the
        inline.

        Regards,
        Victor Vishnyakov