What for fo:inline has width and height attributes

  • Victor Vishnyakov
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2003
      Why and what for "6.6.7 fo:inline" has "7.14.4 height" and "7.14.12
      width" attributes?
      Is there any usage case or it is the bug in the spec?

      Regards,
      Victor Vishnyakov
    • J.Pietschmann
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2003
        Victor Vishnyakov wrote:

        > Why and what for "6.6.7 fo:inline" has "7.14.4 height" and "7.14.12
        > width" attributes?
        > Is there any usage case or it is the bug in the spec?

        A fo:inline creates an area (in contrast to fo:wrapper), complete
        with borders, background, padding and whatnot. You can use it to
        draw a nice large frame around a word to highlight, and use increased
        height and width to make it even more stand out.

        Corrollary: using fo:inline for just changing text decoration or
        the font family is overkill. Use fo:wrapper for this purpose.

        J.Pietschmann
      • Victor Vishnyakov
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2003
          > Victor Vishnyakov wrote:
          >
          > > Why and what for "6.6.7 fo:inline" has "7.14.4 height" and "7.14.12
          > > width" attributes? Is there any usage case or it is the bug in the
          > > spec?
          >
          > A fo:inline creates an area (in contrast to fo:wrapper),
          > complete with borders, background, padding and whatnot. You
          > can use it to draw a nice large frame around a word to
          > highlight, and use increased height and width to make it even
          > more stand out.
          >
          > Corrollary: using fo:inline for just changing text decoration
          > or the font family is overkill. Use fo:wrapper for this purpose.
          >
          > J.Pietschmann

          Padding/border/margin/etc and "normal inline-area" is absolutely clear.
          But as I understand "6.6.8 fo:inline-container" is designed to control
          width and height and has at least "7.20.2 overflow" attribute ... "6.6.7
          fo:inline" doesn't.

          > . . . and use increased height and width to make it even more stand
          out . . .

          I do not know whether I am increasing width/height or not. Width and
          height is unknown during stylesheet design.

          Thus, I can not understand the purpose of this properties for the
          inline.

          Regards,
          Victor Vishnyakov