Staus of Apps

  • Pollington, Lee (ELSLON)
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 13, 2001
      Hi all,

      I was interested as to whether anyone had an opinion on the state of the
      XSL:FO engines available. I tried some FO a while ago only to find the
      engines were quite a way away from the standard and what I needed. I have
      used RenderX & FOP, are there any new ones available? I really need to be
      able to produce postscript and the full version of RenderX was the only tool
      on the market that could do this, is this still true?

      I've had a quick look at the FOP and RenderX sites for an update, but
      nothing beats the hard won experience of those using the tools in real life
      situations.

      thanks
      Lee

      ps.
    • Kenneth J. Hughes
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 13, 2001
        Hi Lee,

        I've successfully used RenderX's XEP to generate both PDF and PS from
        FO input that was created by heavily customized XSL stylesheets for
        DocBook. We pushed the product hard, and in the two cases (EPS graphics
        inclusion into PS and support for proportional column width in tables)
        where we were encountered limitations, RenderX improved the product
        quickly enough for us to meet our schedule. (We did pay a reasonable
        fee for accelerated delivery of the fixes but were happy to receive
        the prompt and directed attention.)

        Our DocBook documents were fairly extensive, with tables, footnotes,
        headers, footers, graphics, etc. We got good results with Norm's
        base XSLT transformations to XSL-FO, and then I customized the look
        heavily from there. XEP stood up well whatever FOs we threw at it.
        Technical support was excellent.

        I'd be happy to help with specific questions on this effort or, where
        appropriate, to provide consulting services for substantial, similar
        efforts.

        Cheers,

        Kenneth J. Hughes
        Entelechy Corporation