RE: [XSL-FO] Is this a job for XSLT/FO

  • Max Dunn
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 12, 2001
      Yes, off of the FO topic, but my point was not that the scripting controls
      the GUI (it merely feels like it does), but that this is a fundamentally
      GUI-based app that is difficult to use for server-side apps because it for
      example must open up a client-side instance of the application in order to
      run a scripted process. What I would like to see from Adobe is a
      composition engine that can run without opening up a window. Something like
      FOP or Xyvision. They have the composition angle down cold; InDesign is
      awesome in terms of its composition, but it is a client-side app. I will
      continue the InDesign-specific discussion in the forum as you suggest.

      On the FO topic are two questions:
      1. Why Adobe hasn't put effort towards an FO implementation, assuming they
      haven't. Does anyone know anything about this?

      2. How difficult/possible would it be to write a program that would
      translate an FO file into InDesign instructions/tagged text (or output to
      another non-native FO composition engine)?

      Max