Re: [XSL-FO] Is this a job for XSLT/FO

  • letsgo@mac.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 12, 2001
      At 10:46 AM 6/11/01, Max Dunn wrote:
      >Currently I'm working with InDesign from programming/script. It's
      >wonderfully scriptable, all of the objects can be accessed, and many
      >great things can be done programatically. But so much is on the
      >terms of the GUI, it is like run this menu command, work with this
      >"selected" object, or whatever. I think they would have been far
      >better off to have a core server-side app and call it from a GUI
      >rather than have any server-side functionality as an afterthought,
      >and then often having to go through the GUI paradigm.

      This is a little off topic but I had to respond to the comment.

      I'm not sure why you think that InDesign scripting controls the GUI.
      It doesn't. It is not possible to select menus from a script. And
      while InDesign provides a way to get/set/control what is selected,
      your script can just as easily iterate over objects without them
      being selected.

      Head over the InDesign scripting forum if you'd like to discuss this further.
      <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?13@@.eea52bc>
    • Max Dunn
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 12, 2001
        Yes, off of the FO topic, but my point was not that the scripting controls
        the GUI (it merely feels like it does), but that this is a fundamentally
        GUI-based app that is difficult to use for server-side apps because it for
        example must open up a client-side instance of the application in order to
        run a scripted process. What I would like to see from Adobe is a
        composition engine that can run without opening up a window. Something like
        FOP or Xyvision. They have the composition angle down cold; InDesign is
        awesome in terms of its composition, but it is a client-side app. I will
        continue the InDesign-specific discussion in the forum as you suggest.

        On the FO topic are two questions:
        1. Why Adobe hasn't put effort towards an FO implementation, assuming they
        haven't. Does anyone know anything about this?

        2. How difficult/possible would it be to write a program that would
        translate an FO file into InDesign instructions/tagged text (or output to
        another non-native FO composition engine)?

        Max