Re: [XSL-FO] Re: Preflight (was XSL-FO tool.)

  • W. Eliot Kimber
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 2, 2003
      Dave Pawson wrote:
      > For the non print house aware amongst us,
      > Any chance of a very quick thumbnail of what goes on
      > with this pre-flight idea please?
      >
      > I won't ask where the silly name came from :-)
      >
      > AFAIK the bottom line is to present the printer
      > with n documents, each containing a single color,
      > which are duly overprinted (which is why you need those line up marks).

      "preflight" is a general term of art refering to any processing or
      preparation need to make the files you deliver to the print house ready
      for printing. Most print workflows are PDF based, although some are
      still PostScript based.

      Preflight actions can be many and varied, but include:

      - Color conversion (e.g., from RGB to CMYK or process colors
      - Adding registration and printers marks
      - Normalizing rule weights
      - Adding or adjusting page boxes (trim, etc.)
      - Checking that fonts are correctly embedded or not embedded as the case
      may be
      - Creating color separations (one copy of each page, rendered in black
      and white, for one of the four CMYK colors)

      See Web sites like PDFZone and PlanetPDF for more information about
      PDF-based preflight workflows and tools.

      Most preflight processing is necessitated by the use of various word
      processing and desktop publishing tools that give wide latitude in the
      details of how they produce PDFs. With a more controlled system like
      XSL-FO, it should, in theory, be possible for an XSL-FO implementation
      to produce PDFs that require no additional preflighting in order to be
      printer ready. However, that is not the case today, at least with the FO
      implementations I've worked with, and also varies depending on what your
      print vendor's requirements are. For example, many print vendors prefer
      to do color conversion and separations themselves, others do not.

      Cheers,

      Eliot
      --
      W. Eliot Kimber