dynamic columns dont wrap

  • aananth_s
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 28, 2003
      hi,

      I have a table with 10 columns (always 10 columns). depending on a
      variable all ten or 5 of the columns will be used.
      The column names in table header appear fine (i.e when the column name
      is lengthy, it wraps and fits into its own space) when all 10 columns
      are displayed.
      However when there are only 5 columns diplayed, the columns with long
      names dont wrap but spill over into the adjacent cells.How do i stop
      this?Any inputs would be highly appreciated.

      thanks
      aananth
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 28, 2003
        At 2003-10-28 18:48 +0000, aananth_s wrote:
        >the columns with long
        >names dont wrap but spill over into the adjacent cells.How do i stop
        >this?

        Try any of:

        (1) - hyphenation
        (2) - injected zero-width space characters
        (3) - grouped characters kept together using nowrap or keep-together

        I hope this helps.

        .......................... Ken

        p.s.

        At 2003-10-28 18:31 +0000, aananth_s wrote:
        >Iam using our own custom implementation which i fear i cant disclose.

        Wouldn't your developers be able to answer all of these questions for
        you? They are they ones building your XSL-FO implementation. It seems
        many of your answers are in the spec.

        --
        Next public European delivery: 3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2004-01-??
        Instructor-led on-site corporate, government & user group training

        ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
        ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO
        ISBN 1-894049-11-X Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
        Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners: http://XMLGuild.info
      • aananth s
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 29, 2003
          indeed was an issue with our implementation.Got it
          clarified from our guys here !!
          thanks

          --- "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@...>

          =====
          STRENGTH IS LIFE , WEAKNESS IS DEATH!

        • omoruyi ehis
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 30, 2003
            Hi All,

            I need your help, I am trying to create a non-breaking
            space with character but I keep getting error with my
            processor.
              - gives error
              - gives a ??
            " - doesn't do anything
              - gives ??

            Please if you know of any other character I could use
            to get non-breaking space please let me know.

            Thanks,
            Uyi.

          • David Cramer (Tech Pubs)
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 30, 2003
              How about:

              <fo:character character=" " treat-as-word-space="false"/>

              David

            • omoruyi ehis
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 31, 2003
                Hello All,

                Does anyone know why I am having problem generating
                the images in my document.
                When I specify and absolute path to generate the
                image, it works fine

                <fo:block>
                <fo:external-graphic
                src="url(http://myservername.com/images/logo.jpg)"
                width="3.85cm" height="2.08cm"/>
                </fo:block>

                but when I used a relative path, it doesn't pull up my
                image.

                <fo:block>
                <fo:external-graphic src="url(/images/logo.jpg)"
                width="3.85cm" height="2.08cm"/>
                </fo:block>

                Based on the project I am working on, I need to
                specify a relative link to my images...
                Are there other ways to generate images using relative
                links?

                Please Help!!!

                Thanks,
                Uyi.

              • Victor Vishnyakov
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 31, 2003
                  try skipping url function: use src="images/logo.jpg" against
                  src="url(/images/logo.jpg)"

                  this might help.

                  Regards.

[...]

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • Ryan Graham
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 31, 2003
                    >but when I used a relative path, it doesn't pull up my
                    >image.
                    >
                    ><fo:block>
                    > <fo:external-graphic src="url(/images/logo.jpg)"
                    >width="3.85cm" height="2.08cm"/>
                    ></fo:block>

                    I use similar references in all my files. If you are not getting output
                    this way, just make sure the reference you are creating is relative to the
                    location of the PDF file you are outputing, not the stylesheet that creates
                    it.

                    HTH,
                    RG
                  • Victor Vishnyakov
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 31, 2003
                      one more issue:

                      "/images/logo.jpg" on UNIX means: "logo.jpg" in the "images" folder in
                      the root folder "/"

                      Probably you wonna use: "images/logo.jpg" ?

                      Am I right?

                      Regards,
                      Victor Vishnyakov

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 31, 2003
                        I tried both ways, it didn't work. Thanks for your
                        time. Don't give up on me!

                        Take Care,
                        Uyi

                      • Victor Vishnyakov
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 31, 2003
                          Post your xsl-fo file here ...

                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 31, 2003
                            <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
                            <xsl:stylesheet
                            version="1.0">
                            <xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes"/>
                            <xsl:preserve-space elements="*"/>
                            <xsl:template match="/LIB">
                            <fo:root
                            xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format">
                            <fo:layout-master-set>
                            <!-- layout for the first page -->
                            <fo:simple-page-master master-name="MasterCode"
                            page-height="29.7cm" page-width="21cm"
                            margin-top="1cm" margin-bottom="1cm"
                            margin-left="2.5cm" margin-right="2.5cm">
                            <fo:region-body margin-top="1.5cm"/>
                            <fo:region-before extent="1.5cm"/>
                            <fo:region-after extent="1.5cm"/>
                            </fo:simple-page-master>
                            </fo:layout-master-set>
                            <!-- end: defines page layout -->
                            <!-- actual layout -->
                            <fo:page-sequence master-reference="MasterCode">
                            <!-- Company Logo -->
                            <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
                            <fo:block space-after.optimum="20pt">
                            <fo:external-graphic src="url(images/logo.jpg)"
                            width="3.85cm" height="2.08cm"/>
                            </fo:block>
                            <!-- Header -->
                            <fo:block font-size="14pt"
                            font-family="sans-serif" font-weight="bold"
                            line-height="12pt" text-align="center">
                            This is the welcome page
                            </fo:block>
                            </fo:flow>
                            </fo:page-sequence>
                            </fo:root>
                            </xsl:template>
                            </xsl:stylesheet>

                            --- Victor Vishnyakov <tch_@...> wrote:
                            > Post your xsl-fo file here ...

                          • Victor Vishnyakov
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 3, 2003
                              I've modified your stylesheet to get xsl-fo ... See in attached what the
                              most of the formatters got from your file.

                              Regards,
                              Victor Vishnyakov

                              <fo:simple-page-master master-name="MasterCode"
                              page-height="29.7cm" page-width="21cm"
                              margin-top="1cm" margin-bottom="1cm"
                              margin-left="2.5cm" margin-right="2.5cm">
                              <fo:region-body margin-top="1.5cm"/>
                              <fo:region-before extent="1.5cm"/>
                              <fo:region-after extent="1.5cm"/>
                              </fo:simple-page-master>
                              </fo:layout-master-set>
                              <!-- end: defines page layout -->
                              <!-- actual layout -->
                              <fo:page-sequence master-reference="MasterCode">
                              <!-- Company Logo -->
                              <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
                              <fo:block space-after.optimum="20pt">
                              <fo:external-graphic
                              src="url(images/logo.jpg)"
                              width="3.85cm" height="2.08cm"/>
                              </fo:block>
                              <!-- Header -->
                              <fo:block font-size="14pt"
                              font-family="sans-serif" font-weight="bold"
                              line-height="12pt" text-align="center">
                              This is the welcome page
                              </fo:block>
                              </fo:flow>