xsl-fo tool with cmyk color.

  • shivajipunukollu
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 22, 2003
      Hi All,

      Do you know any tool which will take the xsl + xml gives a pdf and
      support the CMYK color (for both text and graphs say SVG).

      Till now I tried FOP, Antenna House, RenderX. They are not helping
      me much with CMYK color.

      Thanks

      Shivaji Punukollu
    • Alexander Peshkov
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 22, 2003
        Hello,

        RenderX XEP has limited support for CMYK color model. Please refer to
        XEP documentation: http://xep.xattic.com/xep/doc/spec.html#Color_Specifiers

        Best regards,
        Alexander Peshkov mailto:peshkov@...
        RenderX

        s> Hi All,

        s> Do you know any tool which will take the xsl + xml gives a pdf and
        s> support the CMYK color (for both text and graphs say SVG).

        s> Till now I tried FOP, Antenna House, RenderX. They are not helping
        s> me much with CMYK color.

        s> Thanks

        s> Shivaji Punukollu

        s> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

      • shivajipunukollu
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 31, 2003
          I am still in search of xsl-fo tool which can support.

          external-graphics EPS, SVG, JPEG (all cmyk colors)etc.,
          Custom fonts.
          CMYK color.
          Spot colors/PMS.
          Absolute position.
          Hierarchial Tables.

          If any one know any tool which can support all above futures please
          let me know.

          Thanks

          Shivaji

          --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, Alexander Peshkov <peshkov@r...> wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > RenderX XEP has limited support for CMYK color model. Please refer
          > XEP documentation:
          http://xep.xattic.com/xep/doc/spec.html#Color_Specifiers

          > Best regards,
          > Alexander Peshkov mailto:peshkov@r...
          > RenderX
          >

          > s> Hi All,
          >
          > s> Do you know any tool which will take the xsl + xml gives a pdf
          and
          > s> support the CMYK color (for both text and graphs say SVG).
          >
          > s> Till now I tried FOP, Antenna House, RenderX. They are not
          helping
          > s> me much with CMYK color.
          >
          > s> Thanks
          >
          > s> Shivaji Punukollu
          >

          > s> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
          >

          > s> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Christian Duschl
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 31, 2003
            you may have a look at www.x-forms.de.
            in the near future it will support jpeg.

            > I am still in search of xsl-fo tool which can support.
            >
            > external-graphics EPS, SVG, JPEG (all cmyk colors)etc.,
            > Custom fonts.
            > CMYK color.
            > Spot colors/PMS.
            > Absolute position.
            > Hierarchial Tables.
            >
            > If any one know any tool which can support all above futures please
            > let me know.
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Shivaji
            >

            > --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, Alexander Peshkov <peshkov@r...> wrote:
            > > Hello,
            > >
            > > RenderX XEP has limited support for CMYK color model. Please refer
            > > XEP documentation:
            > http://xep.xattic.com/xep/doc/spec.html#Color_Specifiers
            > >
            > > Best regards,
            > > Alexander Peshkov mailto:peshkov@r...
            > > RenderX
            > >

            > > s> Hi All,
            > >
            > > s> Do you know any tool which will take the xsl + xml gives a pdf
            > and
            > > s> support the CMYK color (for both text and graphs say SVG).
            > >
            > > s> Till now I tried FOP, Antenna House, RenderX. They are not
            > helping
            > > s> me much with CMYK color.
            > >
            > > s> Thanks
            > >
            > > s> Shivaji Punukollu
            > >

            > > s> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
            > >

            > > s> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • W. Eliot Kimber
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 31, 2003
              shivajipunukollu wrote:

              > I am still in search of xsl-fo tool which can support.
              > CMYK color.
              > Spot colors/PMS.

              These color requirements are the show stopper. Both XEP and XSL
              Formatter support all the other requirements. I don't know about Adobe
              Document Server's FO support (I've not tried to use it since the beta
              program).

              Note that for graphics, both tools simply pass them unaltered to the
              output PDF, so if you have CMYK graphics coming in they will be CMYK
              coming out.

              Until one of these tools provides support for CMYK and spot colors your
              only solution is going to be to use a preflight tool like EnFocus
              PitStop (www.enfocus.com) to post-process the RGB PDF to generate CMYK
              or spot colors (as well as do other stuff you might need, like adjust
              crop and page boxes, normalize rule weights, generate color separations,
              etc.).

              Unfortunately, a tool like EnFocus costs as much as the commercial FO
              tools, but even then the cost is still at least 1/10th the cost of the
              more venerable SGML-aware composition systems.

              I know that all the commercial FO vendors understand the requirement for
              CMYK and spot color support, but it is a challenge. For example, Antenna
              House 2.x uses the Windows printing API, which only supports RGB colors.
              They had to rewrite their tool to remove that dependency in order to be
              able to even consider supporting CMYK colors in their 3.x version.

              Cheers,

              Eliot
              --
              W. Eliot Kimber
              Innodata Isogen
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 31, 2003
                I will try to check. Do they have the english version of this site.

                Thanks
                Shivaji Punukollu
                --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, Christian Duschl <christianDuschl@x>

                mailto:peshkov@r...

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 31, 2003
                  I tried Antenna House, they are not supporting CMYK colors.

                  I tried XEP they are supporting the CMYK colors, limited color-
                  profiles. But not the Spot colors.

                  And FOP is not supporting the CMYK colors.

                  Basically I am looking for a java based api which can support all the
                  futures for both graphics and text. Which should take care of all
                  these problems.

                  Thanks

                  Shivaji

                • David Tolpin
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 31, 2003
                    > Until one of these tools provides support for CMYK and spot colors your
                    > only solution is going to be to use a preflight tool like EnFocus
                    > PitStop (www.enfocus.com) to post-process the RGB PDF to generate CMYK
                    > or spot colors (as well as do other stuff you might need, like adjust
                    > crop and page boxes, normalize rule weights, generate color separations,
                    > etc.).

                    RenderX XEP supports CMYK colors through the use of rgb-icc().

                    David Tolpin
                    http://davidashen.net/
                  • W. Eliot Kimber
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 31, 2003
                      David Tolpin wrote:

                      >>Until one of these tools provides support for CMYK and spot colors your
                      >>only solution is going to be to use a preflight tool like EnFocus
                      >>PitStop (www.enfocus.com) to post-process the RGB PDF to generate CMYK
                      >>or spot colors (as well as do other stuff you might need, like adjust
                      >>crop and page boxes, normalize rule weights, generate color separations,
                      >>etc.).
                      >>

                      > RenderX XEP supports CMYK colors through the use of rgb-icc().

                      Cool--I wasn't sure what the state of the CMYK support was. But not
                      support for stop/process colors, correct?

                      Cheers,

                      E.
                      --
                      W. Eliot Kimber
                      Innodata Isogen
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 31, 2003
                        shivajipunukollu wrote:

                        > Basically I am looking for a java based api which can support all the
                        > futures for both graphics and text. Which should take care of all
                        > these problems.

                        Unless there is a Java-based preflight tool that I am unaware of, I
                        don't think there is a pure-java solution to this problem at this time
                        (my clients have essentially the same requirements).

                        XEP with CMYK support comes close but you also need spot color support.

                        Unfortunately, EnFocus PitStop, which is the clear leader in PDF
                        preflight tools, only provides a C++ API, so getting to it from Java
                        would be a bit of a chore.

                        I have successfully integrated PitStopServer into an otherwise
                        Java-based XML-to-PDF process, but it is a very loose
                        integration--essentially my Java code just puts things into a PitStop
                        hot folder and then waits for the processed PDF to show up in the output
                        folder. Crude but it works. I'm using PitStop to do RGB-to-CMYK color
                        conversion for PDF's generated by XSL Formatter (I have a Thai language
                        requirement which XEP cannot yet satisfy, otherwise I would have
                        explored XEP for this customer).

                        Cheers,

                        Eliot
                        --
                        W. Eliot Kimber
                        Innodata Isogen
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 1, 2003
                          For the non print house aware amongst us,
                          Any chance of a very quick thumbnail of what goes on
                          with this pre-flight idea please?

                          I won't ask where the silly name came from :-)

                          AFAIK the bottom line is to present the printer
                          with n documents, each containing a single color,
                          which are duly overprinted (which is why you need those line up marks).
                          Beyond that I'm quite ignorant.

                          TIA, DaveP
                        • W. Eliot Kimber
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 2, 2003
                            Dave Pawson wrote:
                            > For the non print house aware amongst us,
                            > Any chance of a very quick thumbnail of what goes on
                            > with this pre-flight idea please?
                            >
                            > I won't ask where the silly name came from :-)
                            >
                            > AFAIK the bottom line is to present the printer
                            > with n documents, each containing a single color,
                            > which are duly overprinted (which is why you need those line up marks).

                            "preflight" is a general term of art refering to any processing or
                            preparation need to make the files you deliver to the print house ready
                            for printing. Most print workflows are PDF based, although some are
                            still PostScript based.

                            Preflight actions can be many and varied, but include:

                            - Color conversion (e.g., from RGB to CMYK or process colors
                            - Adding registration and printers marks
                            - Normalizing rule weights
                            - Adding or adjusting page boxes (trim, etc.)
                            - Checking that fonts are correctly embedded or not embedded as the case
                            may be
                            - Creating color separations (one copy of each page, rendered in black
                            and white, for one of the four CMYK colors)

                            See Web sites like PDFZone and PlanetPDF for more information about
                            PDF-based preflight workflows and tools.

                            Most preflight processing is necessitated by the use of various word
                            processing and desktop publishing tools that give wide latitude in the
                            details of how they produce PDFs. With a more controlled system like
                            XSL-FO, it should, in theory, be possible for an XSL-FO implementation
                            to produce PDFs that require no additional preflighting in order to be
                            printer ready. However, that is not the case today, at least with the FO
                            implementations I've worked with, and also varies depending on what your
                            print vendor's requirements are. For example, many print vendors prefer
                            to do color conversion and separations themselves, others do not.

                            Cheers,

                            Eliot
                            --
                            W. Eliot Kimber