Re: [XSL-FO] chapter (continued) in region-before

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2001
      At 01/05/31 22:04 -0400, Kenneth J. Hughes wrote:
      >I'm beginning to think that the following is not possible:

      Fortunately, it is possible.

      > In the region-before of every page is the title of the current
      > chapter. For pages other than the first page of a chapter,
      > add the text " (continued)" to the chapter title in region-before.
      >
      >The problem is that fo:static-content cannot sense first versus
      >subsequent pages of a chapter. Fo:simple-page-master / fo:region-before
      >can sense this, but they allow formatting only, not content.

      Correct, but you can create a page sequence for the chapter where the first
      page points to one static-content construct and subsequent pages point to a
      different static-content construct (the one with the "(continued)").

      You are not obliged to use the same static content on every page, hence,
      you can still get the variability you need by defining two different static
      content constructs and using them in different places.

      I hope this helps.

      .................... Ken

      Web site: XSL/XML/DSSSL/SGML/OmniMark services, training, products.
      Book: Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath ISBN 1-894049-06-3
      Article: What is XSLT? http://www.xml.com/pub/2000/08/holman/index.html
      Next public instructor-led training: 2001-06-18,06-21,08-12,08-13,09-19

      Training Blitz: 3-days XSLT/XPath, 2-days XSLFO in Ottawa 2001-06-18/22
    • Kenneth J. Hughes
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2001
        At 12:01 PM 6/1/2001 -0400, G. Ken Holman wrote:
        >At 01/05/31 22:04 -0400, Kenneth J. Hughes wrote:
        > >I'm beginning to think that the following is not possible:
        >
        >Fortunately, it is possible.
        >
        > > In the region-before of every page is the title of the current
        > > chapter. For pages other than the first page of a chapter,
        > > add the text " (continued)" to the chapter title in region-before.
        > >
        > >The problem is that fo:static-content cannot sense first versus
        > >subsequent pages of a chapter. Fo:simple-page-master / fo:region-before
        > >can sense this, but they allow formatting only, not content.
        >
        >Correct, but you can create a page sequence for the chapter where the first
        >page points to one static-content construct and subsequent pages point to a
        >different static-content construct (the one with the "(continued)").
        >
        >You are not obliged to use the same static content on every page, hence,
        >you can still get the variability you need by defining two different static
        >content constructs and using them in different places.
        >
        >I hope this helps.

        Aha! That does it. Thanks, Ken.

        Cheers,

        Kenneth J. Hughes