chapter (continued) in region-before

  • Kenneth J. Hughes
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2001
      I'm beginning to think that the following is not possible:

      In the region-before of every page is the title of the current
      chapter. For pages other than the first page of a chapter,
      add the text " (continued)" to the chapter title in region-before.

      The problem is that fo:static-content cannot sense first versus
      subsequent pages of a chapter. Fo:simple-page-master / fo:region-before
      can sense this, but they allow formatting only, not content.

      It almost seems that markers could be used to achieve this effect.
      I could place an fo:marker containing " (continued)" right after
      each chapter title, and I could retrieve that on the first page of
      every chapter using <fo:retrieve-marker retrieve-position="first-
      starting-within-page>, but that'd yield the opposite of the desired
      effect: " (continued)" would be on the first page of each chapter
      rather than on all but the first chapter of each page. I feel
      like I must be missing something as it seems to be possible to get
      tantalizingly close.

      Any ideas?

      Thank you,

      Kenneth J. Hughes
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2001
        At 01/05/31 22:04 -0400, Kenneth J. Hughes wrote:
        >I'm beginning to think that the following is not possible:

        Fortunately, it is possible.

        > In the region-before of every page is the title of the current
        > chapter. For pages other than the first page of a chapter,
        > add the text " (continued)" to the chapter title in region-before.
        >
        >The problem is that fo:static-content cannot sense first versus
        >subsequent pages of a chapter. Fo:simple-page-master / fo:region-before
        >can sense this, but they allow formatting only, not content.

        Correct, but you can create a page sequence for the chapter where the first
        page points to one static-content construct and subsequent pages point to a
        different static-content construct (the one with the "(continued)").

        You are not obliged to use the same static content on every page, hence,
        you can still get the variability you need by defining two different static
        content constructs and using them in different places.

        I hope this helps.

        .................... Ken

        Web site: XSL/XML/DSSSL/SGML/OmniMark services, training, products.
        Book: Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath ISBN 1-894049-06-3
        Article: What is XSLT? http://www.xml.com/pub/2000/08/holman/index.html
        Next public instructor-led training: 2001-06-18,06-21,08-12,08-13,09-19

        Training Blitz: 3-days XSLT/XPath, 2-days XSLFO in Ottawa 2001-06-18/22
      • Kenneth J. Hughes
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2001
          At 12:01 PM 6/1/2001 -0400, G. Ken Holman wrote:
          >At 01/05/31 22:04 -0400, Kenneth J. Hughes wrote:
          > >I'm beginning to think that the following is not possible:
          >
          >Fortunately, it is possible.
          >
          > > In the region-before of every page is the title of the current
          > > chapter. For pages other than the first page of a chapter,
          > > add the text " (continued)" to the chapter title in region-before.
          > >
          > >The problem is that fo:static-content cannot sense first versus
          > >subsequent pages of a chapter. Fo:simple-page-master / fo:region-before
          > >can sense this, but they allow formatting only, not content.
          >
          >Correct, but you can create a page sequence for the chapter where the first
          >page points to one static-content construct and subsequent pages point to a
          >different static-content construct (the one with the "(continued)").
          >
          >You are not obliged to use the same static content on every page, hence,
          >you can still get the variability you need by defining two different static
          >content constructs and using them in different places.
          >
          >I hope this helps.

          Aha! That does it. Thanks, Ken.

          Cheers,

          Kenneth J. Hughes