Text Rotation in a table cell

  • vvelu
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30 1:18 PM
      I am trying to display a text rotated through 270 degrees clockwise,
      as in <fo:block-container reference-orientation="270">. I also
      tried <fo:block-container reference-orientation="270deg">. Both of
      them fail to work because the "reference-orientation" is not
      implemented yet. Is there any other solution to rotate the text?

      Your help will be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks
      Sam Velu
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 30 1:45 PM
        At 2003-09-30 20:18 +0000, vvelu wrote:
        >I am trying to display a text rotated through 270 degrees clockwise,
        >as in <fo:block-container reference-orientation="270">. I also
        >tried <fo:block-container reference-orientation="270deg">.

        The property value is not an <angle> data type ... it is just the four
        values of 0, 90, 180 and 270 and their negatives.

        >Both of
        >them fail to work because the "reference-orientation" is not
        >implemented yet.

        You don't say which processor you are using ... this property is
        successfully implemented in Antenna House.

        >Is there any other solution to rotate the text?

        Probably not ... XSL-FO 1.0 defines reference-orientation= as the way to do it.

        ................... Ken

        --
        Next public US delivery: 3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2003-10-13
        Next public European delivery: 3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2003-11-??

        ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
        ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO
        ISBN 1-894049-11-X Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
        Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners: http://XMLGuild.info
      • vvelu
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 30 2:34 PM
          Ken:

          I am using FOP 0.20.5 and it is specified by my client.

          >>Is there any other solution to rotate the text?
          > Probably not ... XSL-FO 1.0 defines reference-orientation= as the
          > way to do it.

          That's the conclusion I also arrived at, just wanted to have a second
          opinion.

          Thanks for your help.
          Sam Velu
        • David Tolpin
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
            > Ken:
            >
            > I am using FOP 0.20.5 and it is specified by my client.
            >
            > >>Is there any other solution to rotate the text?
            > > Probably not ... XSL-FO 1.0 defines reference-orientation= as the
            > > way to do it.
            >
            > That's the conclusion I also arrived at, just wanted to have a second
            > opinion.

            There is a tricky way with SVG in the chain. If the only thing you want
            is to have rotated headers then generate the headers on the fly as SVG
            images.

            Or better yet, get a tool that does the job in a natural way. Both
            RenderX XEP (http://xep.xattic.com/) and AntennaHouse XSL Formatter
            (http://www.antennahouse.com/) qualify.

            David Tolpin
            http://davidashen.net/
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 2, 2003
              >From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@...>
              >
              >At 2003-09-30 20:18 +0000, vvelu wrote:
              >
              > >Both of
              > >them fail to work because the "reference-orientation" is not
              > >implemented yet.
              >
              >You don't say which processor you are using ... this property is
              >successfully implemented in Antenna House.

              I guess you are using FOP, since both RenderX and Antenna house both
              implement reference-orientation.

              > >Is there any other solution to rotate the text?
              >
              >Probably not ... XSL-FO 1.0 defines reference-orientation= as the way to do
              >it.

              In FOP the suggested workaround for displaying rotated text is to create a
              SVG containing rotated text and embed the SVG in your XSL-FO via
              instream-foreign-object.