Hyphenate problem

  • soken78
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 26, 2003
      Hello I am having problems with text overflowing from one cell within
      a fo table into another cell.

      I would prefer to not via xsl to truncate the string to fit into the
      cell. I tried the overflow option however this is not implemented
      within FOP 0.20.5 and thus decided to use hyphenate. I am however
      getting the following error.

      [ERROR] if property 'hyphenate is used, a language must be specified
      in line Bereit zur

      Can someone please explain what this error means - i didnt realise
      that one must specify the language for hyphenation. The application
      can be viewed in three different languages - de_ch, it_ch and fr_ch.

      Thank you for you help in advance.

      Kind regards

      Thea
    • mznse
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 27, 2003
        > [ERROR] if property 'hyphenate is used, a language must be
        specified
        > in line Bereit zur
        >

        > Can someone please explain what this error means - i didnt realise
        > that one must specify the language for hyphenation. The
        application
        > can be viewed in three different languages - de_ch, it_ch and fr_ch.

        Since hyphenation rules are different for different languages, you have to set a value for the "language" property in your FO file.

        See http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xsl-20011015/slice7.html#language
        and http://xml.apache.org/fop/hyphenation.html.

        /M
      • soken78
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 29, 2003
          What if I have a range of languages...how do I set that in my fo file'

          Thanks

          T.

          --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "mznse" <mzjn@h...> wrote:
          > > [ERROR] if property 'hyphenate is used, a language must be
          > specified
          > > in line Bereit zur
          > >

          > > Can someone please explain what this error means - i didnt
          realise
          > > that one must specify the language for hyphenation. The
          > application
          > > can be viewed in three different languages - de_ch, it_ch and
          fr_ch.

          > Since hyphenation rules are different for different languages, you
          have to set a value for the "language" property in your FO file.

          > See http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xsl-20011015/slice7.html#language
          > and http://xml.apache.org/fop/hyphenation.html.
          >
          > /M
        • W. Eliot Kimber
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 29, 2003
            soken78 wrote:
            > What if I have a range of languages...how do I set that in my fo file'

            Put the lang= attribute on the highest common container for a particular
            language, e.g., on fo:page-sequence, if the entire page sequence is in a
            single language, or fo:block if the languages are mixed in a single flow.

            Note that hyphentation is not the only reason to set the language value
            accurately and consistently--many, if not all, FO implementations also
            use the language value to correctly set fonts and other typographic
            behavior that is language specific. For example, XSL Formatter from
            Antenna House maps the basic FO font families to different real fonts
            based on the current language, so that, for example, "serif" produces an
            appropriate result in all languages.

            Cheers,

            Eliot
            --
            W. Eliot Kimber
            ISOGEN International, LLC
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 30, 2003
              > soken78 wrote:
              > > What if I have a range of languages...how do I set that in my fo file'
              >
              > Put the lang= attribute on the highest common container for a particular
              > language, e.g., on fo:page-sequence, if the entire page sequence is in a
              > single language, or fo:block if the languages are mixed in a single flow.

              That's almost right, but the name for the attribute is 'language'.

              David Tolpin
              http://davidashen.net/