About using ascii characters

  • Mandyam Niranjan
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2003
      Hi All !
      We are having problem in pdf when we use '-' in xsl
      directly as it is. We are using fop 0.18.4,iplanet web
      server.

      On unix,windows machine the '-' is printed as ?. Also
      " is not accepted in xsl and giving problem when
      generating pdf.There is a blank screen generated
      without any pdf.

      We have tried the ascii symbol Ÿ, .But this
      also gives a # symbol in place of '-'.

      Kindly give us a suggestion, is there no method by
      which we can represent '-' other than using ascii
      character.If not, what is the ascii character which
      should be used for '-' and also suggest the best
      method for representing these special characters.

      Thank's a lot

      With regards & prayers
      Niranjan

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • Elizabeth Barham
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2003
        Mandyam writes:

        > We are having problem in pdf when we use '-' in xsl directly as it
        > is. We are using fop 0.18.4,iplanet web server.
        >
        > On unix,windows machine the '-' is printed as ?. Also " is not
        > accepted in xsl and giving problem when generating pdf.There is a
        > blank screen generated without any pdf.
        >
        > We have tried the ascii symbol Ÿ, .But this also gives a #
        > symbol in place of '-'.
        >
        > Kindly give us a suggestion, is there no method by which we can
        > represent '-' other than using ascii character.If not, what is the
        > ascii character which should be used for '-' and also suggest the
        > best method for representing these special characters.

        You may want to look at: http://www.unicode.org/charts/

        I also like to look at this page:

        http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/bycodes.html

        to find Unicode equivalents of the various named character entities
        often used in HTML. For example,

        U02010, HYPHEN , hyphen, dash
        U02013, EN DASH , ndash
        U02014, EM DASH , mdash
        U02015, HORIZONTAL BAR , horbar

        Anyway, you can embed these into your XML documents as:

        ‐ – — and ―

        hth,
        Elizabeth