[ADMIN] Attacks on the group

  • AndrewWatt2001@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3 11:04 PM
      It looks as if this group, and possibly some other Yahoo groups, are under
      attack from a fairly sophisticated ... or do I mean persistent? .... spammer.

      For the moment I won't be allowing any new members to join.

      This group isn't the only one being affected.

      One trick is for W3C email lists to be subscribed to YahooGroups lists.
      [Fortunately I had new applicants on moderation and have caught about 10 such
      "applications" seemingly from W3C lists.] When successful, that results in the
      Yahoo list content being sent out to subscribers of the relevant W3C lists.
      Naturally when subscribers to the W3C lists apply to unsubscribe they are told by
      Yahoo that they aren't subscribed to the Yahoo list.

      Hopefully list traffic on XSL-FO can continue normally. But I can't guarantee
      that.

      It is possible that there may be one or more spam members who joined and have
      lurked since joining. Therefore if we get spam messages from list members I
      will remove and ban them as soon as I see them. In time we may get the list
      fully cleaned up.

      Sorry for inconvenience.

      Andrew Watt