Re: [XSL-FO] Confusion over Yahoo Groups authentication requests

  • AndrewWatt2001@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2003
      gkholman@... writes:

      > Yesterday I received a cryptic authentication instruction that I dutifully
      > followed-through with only to find that my response was publicly recorded
      > and that others are interpreting my public response as a further request
      > for authentication on their part.
      >
      > Which it wasn't.
      >
      > Does anyone with Yahoo Groups experience know what may have triggered the
      > original authentication request (copied below)? I assumed it wasn't spam
      > since the target address was the group list (I had anticipated the
      > processor to have intercepted it by the subject line and the expectation of
      > receipt.)
      >
      > Thanks for any light someone might shed on this.
      >
      > ............... Ken

      Hi Ken,

      The simple answer is that I don't know.

      After some spam recently, when I banned the culprit, I put the group on
      moderator approval of new members. There has been a blitz of spurious applications
      for membership. I hope I have been able to discern the genuine application
      from the spurious, but I can't be totally sure.

      I know that other Yahoo groups are also being plagued with pornographic and
      other spam. Oddly it is only some groups. No obvious pattern.

      Maybe by putting the group on moderation of new members I triggered some
      other security setting at Yahoo but I am pretty sure that I didn't change anything
      explicitly.

      I have tidied the archives of these authentication posts. Hopefully nobody
      else will add to the responses. :)

      And let's hope the spammers go away. .... But, unfortunately, I am not
      holding my breath.

      Andrew Watt

    • AndrewWatt2001@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2003
        gkholman@... writes:

        > Yesterday I received a cryptic authentication instruction that I dutifully
        > followed-through with only to find that my response was publicly recorded
        > and that others are interpreting my public response as a further request
        > for authentication on their part.
        >
        > Which it wasn't.
        >
        > Does anyone with Yahoo Groups experience know what may have triggered the
        > original authentication request (copied below)? I assumed it wasn't spam
        > since the target address was the group list (I had anticipated the
        > processor to have intercepted it by the subject line and the expectation of
        > receipt.)
        >
        > Thanks for any light someone might shed on this.
        >
        > ............... Ken

        Ken,

        After my recent post to the list I received a similar authentication request.

        Judging by the return address it **seems** to come from YahooGroups.com but
        if you look at the headers it seems to (and presumably does) come from another
        domain.

        I **assume** that it is a "little trick" that brings joy to a spammer in that
        he/she/they induce others to send email. <sigh/>

        I suggest that members ignore these supposed "authentication requests" - if
        the spammer is ignored he/she/they might possibly go away.

        Regards

        Andrew Watt