Confusion over Yahoo Groups authentication requests

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2003
      Yesterday I received a cryptic authentication instruction that I dutifully
      followed-through with only to find that my response was publicly recorded
      and that others are interpreting my public response as a further request
      for authentication on their part.

      Which it wasn't.

      Does anyone with Yahoo Groups experience know what may have triggered the
      original authentication request (copied below)? I assumed it wasn't spam
      since the target address was the group list (I had anticipated the
      processor to have intercepted it by the subject line and the expectation of
      receipt.)

      Thanks for any light someone might shed on this.

      ............... Ken

      From: XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com
      To: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@...>
      Date: Tue,02 Sep 2003 09:24:34 -0700
      Subject: Source Authentication Request ID:MSG03090233874.41X
      SourceAuthentication: MSG03090233874.41X

      We have received an email message from you addressed to
      XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com. In order to provide secure, Spam-free email, we
      need confirmation from you before delivering this message. Please click
      'reply' and 'send' this one time so that your email message can be
      delivered. Thank you.

      --
      Next public European delivery: 3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2003-09-22
      Instructor-led on-site corporate, government & user group training

      G. Ken Holman mailto:gkholman@...
      Crane Softwrights Ltd. http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/m/
      ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
      ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO
      ISBN 1-894049-11-X Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
      Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners: http://XMLGuild.info
      Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/m/bc
    • AndrewWatt2001@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2003
        gkholman@... writes:

        > Yesterday I received a cryptic authentication instruction that I dutifully
        > followed-through with only to find that my response was publicly recorded
        > and that others are interpreting my public response as a further request
        > for authentication on their part.
        >
        > Which it wasn't.
        >
        > Does anyone with Yahoo Groups experience know what may have triggered the
        > original authentication request (copied below)? I assumed it wasn't spam
        > since the target address was the group list (I had anticipated the
        > processor to have intercepted it by the subject line and the expectation of
        > receipt.)
        >
        > Thanks for any light someone might shed on this.
        >
        > ............... Ken

        Hi Ken,

        The simple answer is that I don't know.

        After some spam recently, when I banned the culprit, I put the group on
        moderator approval of new members. There has been a blitz of spurious applications
        for membership. I hope I have been able to discern the genuine application
        from the spurious, but I can't be totally sure.

        I know that other Yahoo groups are also being plagued with pornographic and
        other spam. Oddly it is only some groups. No obvious pattern.

        Maybe by putting the group on moderation of new members I triggered some
        other security setting at Yahoo but I am pretty sure that I didn't change anything
        explicitly.

        I have tidied the archives of these authentication posts. Hopefully nobody
        else will add to the responses. :)

        And let's hope the spammers go away. .... But, unfortunately, I am not
        holding my breath.

        Andrew Watt

      • AndrewWatt2001@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3, 2003
          gkholman@... writes:

          > Yesterday I received a cryptic authentication instruction that I dutifully
          > followed-through with only to find that my response was publicly recorded
          > and that others are interpreting my public response as a further request
          > for authentication on their part.
          >
          > Which it wasn't.
          >
          > Does anyone with Yahoo Groups experience know what may have triggered the
          > original authentication request (copied below)? I assumed it wasn't spam
          > since the target address was the group list (I had anticipated the
          > processor to have intercepted it by the subject line and the expectation of
          > receipt.)
          >
          > Thanks for any light someone might shed on this.
          >
          > ............... Ken

          Ken,

          After my recent post to the list I received a similar authentication request.

          Judging by the return address it **seems** to come from YahooGroups.com but
          if you look at the headers it seems to (and presumably does) come from another
          domain.

          I **assume** that it is a "little trick" that brings joy to a spammer in that
          he/she/they induce others to send email. <sigh/>

          I suggest that members ignore these supposed "authentication requests" - if
          the spammer is ignored he/she/they might possibly go away.

          Regards

          Andrew Watt