PDF generation and JavaMail

  • Jignesh Shah
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2003

      I am facing problem generating a PDF and subsequently mailing it using
      JavaMail. Following is a step by step explanation of what I am trying to
      achieve:

      1. A JSP page displays a list of documents with options to view,
      email and print the documents
      2. When the user clicks on the email icon a pop up window is
      generated which asks for the "To" "From" and "Sub" email fields. The
      command I use to generate pop up window is:
      onclick="javascript:pop_win =
      window.open('popup.jsp?<%=qry2%>','pop_win','width=400,height=300,scroll
      bars=yes');
      pop_win.focus();
      I am unable to validate the form fields in the pop up window before
      submitting it to a servlet but that is not a very major issue
      3. The data from the Popup window is than captured in the servlet
      using the request object. Pop up window exits automatically after the
      submit button is clicked.
      4. This servlet does some data processing and builds a xsl template
      and xml. Than I forward the request to another servlet using the
      command:

      getServletContext().getRequestDispatcher("/report/fop").forward(request,
      response);
      I also add a few attributes to the request object here.
      5. This servlet generates dynamic pdf correctly. However while
      generating static pdf it throws a socket reset by peer exception at the
      requestDispatcher line.
      6. The decision to generate dynamic or static pdf is taken based on
      a request attribute set by me in the servlet which processes the popup
      information
      7. Independently JavaMail works fine, Static pdf is also
      successfully generated but without request parameters being passed. The
      problem is only when I try to integrate all these features together.

      Can somebody please help me how to achieve this functionality. If there
      is a better design approach I can implement that and try it.

      Thanks

      Jignesh