Re: [XSL-FO] vertical-align and leader problems

  • Ronald Muller
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 5, 2003
      thanks Chris!

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Chris Bowditch" <bowditch_chris@...>
      To: <XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 10:09 AM
      Subject: Re: [XSL-FO] vertical-align and leader problems

      > >From: "Ronald Muller" <rk.muller@...>
      > >
      > >Hi,
      > >
      > >I have the following requirement:
      > >- a footer at every page, consisting of a left-aligned image, a text
      > >(horizontal centered, vertical aligned at the bottom) and a right-aligned
      > >image;
      > >- I do not want to use a <fo:table> construct;
      >
      > why not? this is the only way you are going to acheive your goal using
      FOP.
      > I cant see any reason why a table should not be used.

      I have studied a number of article/books about XSL:FO and I understand that
      a table construct is a fairly verbose and expensive construct, thats why!

      > >- I use the latest FOP version.
      > >
      > >I think this must be a valid solution:
      >
      > The solution you gave is valid in general in XSL-FO and will work in
      > RenderX's XEP, but sadly not in FOP. In the latest version of FOP, leaders
      > are tailored to suit TOC style layouts where there is just 1 leader per
      line
      > (as this is the most common use of leaders)
      >
      > <snip/>

      That's new for me, thanks! I will have a look at RenderX. I see that they
      now support SVG (that was the reason I have never looked at XEP)

      > >But this solution does not work: the first leader consumes almost all
      space
      > >(so the text is not centered) and the text is not aligned to the bottom
      of
      > >the footer area.
      >
      > vertical-align is not implemented in FOP, you will need to use a table to
      > acheive what you want.

      Oeps, I didnot know that either!

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 2003
        >From: "Ronald Muller" <rk.muller@...>

        <snip/>

        > > >- I do not want to use a <fo:table> construct;
        > >
        > > why not? this is the only way you are going to acheive your goal using
        >FOP.
        > > I cant see any reason why a table should not be used.
        >
        >I have studied a number of article/books about XSL:FO and I understand that
        >a table construct is a fairly verbose and expensive construct, thats why!

        Tables can be expensive, but it only becomes noticeable if you have very
        large tables spanning many pages, with keeps, column spanning, etc. A small
        table in the footer region will be relatively light on resource usage.

        http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger