Re: [XSL-FO] vertical-align and leader problems

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 5, 2003
      >From: "Ronald Muller" <rk.muller@...>
      >
      >Hi,
      >
      >I have the following requirement:
      >- a footer at every page, consisting of a left-aligned image, a text
      >(horizontal centered, vertical aligned at the bottom) and a right-aligned
      >image;
      >- I do not want to use a <fo:table> construct;

      why not? this is the only way you are going to acheive your goal using FOP.
      I cant see any reason why a table should not be used.

      >- I use the latest FOP version.
      >
      >I think this must be a valid solution:

      The solution you gave is valid in general in XSL-FO and will work in
      RenderX's XEP, but sadly not in FOP. In the latest version of FOP, leaders
      are tailored to suit TOC style layouts where there is just 1 leader per line
      (as this is the most common use of leaders)

      <snip/>

      >But this solution does not work: the first leader consumes almost all space
      >(so the text is not centered) and the text is not aligned to the bottom of
      >the footer area.

      vertical-align is not implemented in FOP, you will need to use a table to
      acheive what you want.

      http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
    • Ronald Muller
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 2003
        thanks Chris!

        > >- a footer at every page, consisting of a left-aligned image, a text
        > >(horizontal centered, vertical aligned at the bottom) and a right-aligned
        > >image;
        > >- I do not want to use a <fo:table> construct;
        >
        > why not? this is the only way you are going to acheive your goal using
        FOP.
        > I cant see any reason why a table should not be used.

        I have studied a number of article/books about XSL:FO and I understand that
        a table construct is a fairly verbose and expensive construct, thats why!

        > >- I use the latest FOP version.
        > >
        > >I think this must be a valid solution:
        >
        > The solution you gave is valid in general in XSL-FO and will work in
        > RenderX's XEP, but sadly not in FOP. In the latest version of FOP, leaders
        > are tailored to suit TOC style layouts where there is just 1 leader per
        line
        > (as this is the most common use of leaders)
        >
        > <snip/>

        That's new for me, thanks! I will have a look at RenderX. I see that they
        now support SVG (that was the reason I have never looked at XEP)

        > >But this solution does not work: the first leader consumes almost all
        space
        > >(so the text is not centered) and the text is not aligned to the bottom
        of
        > >the footer area.
        >
        > vertical-align is not implemented in FOP, you will need to use a table to
        > acheive what you want.

        Oeps, I didnot know that either!

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 5, 2003
          >From: "Ronald Muller" <rk.muller@...>

          <snip/>

          > > >- I do not want to use a <fo:table> construct;
          > >
          > > why not? this is the only way you are going to acheive your goal using
          >FOP.
          > > I cant see any reason why a table should not be used.
          >
          >I have studied a number of article/books about XSL:FO and I understand that
          >a table construct is a fairly verbose and expensive construct, thats why!

          Tables can be expensive, but it only becomes noticeable if you have very
          large tables spanning many pages, with keeps, column spanning, etc. A small
          table in the footer region will be relatively light on resource usage.

          http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger