vertical-align and leader problems

  • Ronald Muller
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2003
      Hi,

      I have the following requirement:
      - a footer at every page, consisting of a left-aligned image, a text
      (horizontal centered, vertical aligned at the bottom) and a right-aligned
      image;
      - I do not want to use a <fo:table> construct;
      - I use the latest FOP version.

      I think this must be a valid solution:

      <fo:static-content flow-name="xsl-region-after">
      <fo:block text-align-last="justify" >
      <fo:external-graphic height="15mm" src="images/leftImage.gif" />
      <fo:leader leader-pattern="space" leader-length.minimum="0%"
      leader-length.maximum="100%"/>
      <fo:inline>
      Text, horizontal centered
      </fo:inline>
      <fo:leader leader-pattern="space" leader-length.minimum="0%"
      leader-length.maximum="100%"/>
      <fo:external-graphic height="15mm" src="images/rightImage.gif"
      />
      </fo:block>
      </fo:static-content>

      But this solution does not work: the first leader consumes almost all space
      (so the text is not centered) and the text is not aligned to the bottom of
      the footer area.
      What is wrong?????

      Regards,
      Ronald
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 2003
        >From: "Ronald Muller" <rk.muller@...>
        >
        >Hi,
        >
        >I have the following requirement:
        >- a footer at every page, consisting of a left-aligned image, a text
        >(horizontal centered, vertical aligned at the bottom) and a right-aligned
        >image;
        >- I do not want to use a <fo:table> construct;

        why not? this is the only way you are going to acheive your goal using FOP.
        I cant see any reason why a table should not be used.

        >- I use the latest FOP version.
        >
        >I think this must be a valid solution:

        The solution you gave is valid in general in XSL-FO and will work in
        RenderX's XEP, but sadly not in FOP. In the latest version of FOP, leaders
        are tailored to suit TOC style layouts where there is just 1 leader per line
        (as this is the most common use of leaders)

        <snip/>

        >But this solution does not work: the first leader consumes almost all space
        >(so the text is not centered) and the text is not aligned to the bottom of
        >the footer area.

        vertical-align is not implemented in FOP, you will need to use a table to
        acheive what you want.

        http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
      • Ronald Muller
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 5, 2003
          thanks Chris!

          > >- a footer at every page, consisting of a left-aligned image, a text
          > >(horizontal centered, vertical aligned at the bottom) and a right-aligned
          > >image;
          > >- I do not want to use a <fo:table> construct;
          >
          > why not? this is the only way you are going to acheive your goal using
          FOP.
          > I cant see any reason why a table should not be used.

          I have studied a number of article/books about XSL:FO and I understand that
          a table construct is a fairly verbose and expensive construct, thats why!

          > >- I use the latest FOP version.
          > >
          > >I think this must be a valid solution:
          >
          > The solution you gave is valid in general in XSL-FO and will work in
          > RenderX's XEP, but sadly not in FOP. In the latest version of FOP, leaders
          > are tailored to suit TOC style layouts where there is just 1 leader per
          line
          > (as this is the most common use of leaders)
          >
          > <snip/>

          That's new for me, thanks! I will have a look at RenderX. I see that they
          now support SVG (that was the reason I have never looked at XEP)

          > >But this solution does not work: the first leader consumes almost all
          space
          > >(so the text is not centered) and the text is not aligned to the bottom
          of
          > >the footer area.
          >
          > vertical-align is not implemented in FOP, you will need to use a table to
          > acheive what you want.

          Oeps, I didnot know that either!

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 5, 2003
            >From: "Ronald Muller" <rk.muller@...>

            <snip/>

            > > >- I do not want to use a <fo:table> construct;
            > >
            > > why not? this is the only way you are going to acheive your goal using
            >FOP.
            > > I cant see any reason why a table should not be used.
            >
            >I have studied a number of article/books about XSL:FO and I understand that
            >a table construct is a fairly verbose and expensive construct, thats why!

            Tables can be expensive, but it only becomes noticeable if you have very
            large tables spanning many pages, with keeps, column spanning, etc. A small
            table in the footer region will be relatively light on resource usage.

            http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger