Embedding PDF in an HTML

  • vvelu
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2003
      Folks:

      Embedding a PDF in an HTML page (rather than launching it in a
      separate window) is possible by using the <embed> tag. However, this
      needs a PDF file to be stored on the server side and the URL must
      point to that file. Is there a way to avoid storing a file? As the
      FOP creates the PDF, can it be streamed directly to the embedded to
      the HTML page in which it is embedded.

      Your help will be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks
      Sam Velu
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2003
        >From: "vvelu" <vvelu@...>
        >
        >Folks:
        >
        >Embedding a PDF in an HTML page (rather than launching it in a
        >separate window) is possible by using the <embed> tag. However, this
        >needs a PDF file to be stored on the server side and the URL must
        >point to that file. Is there a way to avoid storing a file? As the
        >FOP creates the PDF, can it be streamed directly to the embedded to
        >the HTML page in which it is embedded.

        You can change whether or not the PDF viewer opens in a separate browser
        window or is opened in the same HTML page by setting content-disposition in
        the servlet response header to;

        attachment will cause PDF to be opened in a separate browser window,
        inline will cause PDF to be shown in same HTML page.

        This was discussed recently on the fop user mailing list, here is the link
        to the thread;

        http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-user&m=105910022220465&w=2

        HTH,

        http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
      • dennis_joel_david
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 4, 2003
          At least, I know how it can be done using ASP or ASP.NET.

          This C# code snippet outputs a raw byte stream to the browser
          window, using ASP.NET.

          private void Page_Load ( object sender, EventArgs args )
          {
          Response.Clear();
          Response.ClearContent();
          Response.ContentType = "application/pdf";
          byte [] buffer = SomeFunctionToRetrieveTheByteArray();
          Response.BinaryWrite(buffer);
          Response.Flush();
          buffer = null;
          }