XSL-FO and Postscript

  • jean-paul.verdu@inforsud.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 11, 2001
      I'm working on the XSL-FO to PDF transformation, with FOP, and the result
      are interesting.
      Can you tell me about the transforation XSL-FO to Postscript ?

      Thanks, excuse for my English.
      JP
    • John E. Simpson
      Message 2 of 4 , May 12, 2001
        At 04:59 PM 05/11/2001 +0200, jean-paul.verdu@... wrote:
        >I'm working on the XSL-FO to PDF transformation, with FOP, and the result
        >are interesting.

        Yes, they are. :)

        >Can you tell me about the transforation XSL-FO to Postscript ?

        What would you like to know?

        Assuming you mean the transformation from XSL-FO to PDF (not PostScript):
        PDF is a structured language. It's not really markup, and at times can be
        quite messy. But there *is* a tree of nodes inherent in a PDF document.[1]
        What this means is that if you know enough about that tree's structure,
        mapping the structure of an XSL-FO document to PDF is largely a mechanical
        process. FOP and RenderX's Xep (which also does XSL-FO-to-PDF conversion)
        take advantage of this fact to do their work.

        (Note: I don't have any particular knowledge of the internal workings of
        either product.)

        [1] While working on Just XSL, I came across a class of software which I
        hadn't previously known about. These are tools which reveal the structure
        of PDF documents, making it plain that each PDF file indeed contains a tree
        of nodes (even though the exact "meaning" of a given node may not be
        obvious). One of these tools is called PDF Explorer ($39 direct from the
        publisher, Mapsoft, at www.mapsoft.com; time-limited trial version
        available for download). I found it especially instructive to have a PDF
        document open in a plain text editor on one side of the screen and, on the
        other, a PDF Explorer window showing the expanded node tree.

        Even more interesting was to open in a third window the XSL-FO document
        used to generate the PDF, and watch how a given piece of content was
        transferred to the PDF format, and where it is in the resulting tree.

        [Note: This is not any carefully balanced recommendation of PDF Explorer. I
        stopped looking for examples of these tools as soon as I downloaded one,
        which just happened to be PDF Explorer. I have no connection with Mapsoft
        or the product except that I downloaded the software and used their trial
        version. If you're interested in using such tools yourself, you should of
        course check out more than one!]

        John E. Simpson | "I can levitate birds. No one cares."
        http://www.flixml.org | (Steven Wright)
        XML Q&A: www.xml.com |
      • Bryan Rasmussen
        Message 3 of 4 , May 13, 2001
          >I'm working on the XSL-FO to PDF transformation, with FOP, and the result
          >are interesting.

          Yes, they are. :)

          Message 4 of 4 , May 13, 2001
            For Postscript, I remember that Illustrator used (haven't opened the
            program in years so I can't speak for it now) to have a Postscript
            interpreter built in for screen painting, that way you could check the
            changes you made to the code on screen.
            the syntax of Postscript is somewhat similar to SVG where the vector
            capabilities are concerned.
            am suddenly nostalgic for the glory days of Tex.

            >I'm working on the XSL-FO to PDF transformation, with FOP, and the result
            >are interesting.

            Yes, they are. :)